Progressive Dems Ramp Up Calls To Expand SCOTUS In Wake Of ACB Confirmation

I would suggest that their subversion of those ideals has so corrupted them, that they no longer work. Indeed, decorum and tradition in particular, have been so devastated during the Trump era and its relentless attack on long standing norms, that we are going to have to legislate them going forward.

7 Likes

Absolutely fucking not a elected position.

10 Likes

I agree completely.

1 Like

You seem determined.

I actually think we will pick up some of those toss up seats. The Republicans played a stupid game by encouraging people to vote on election day. Democrats are doing what I have wanted them to do for several cycles and are turning out early.

If you look at turnout predictions, the Democrats have worked hard to get their vote out early. Any slip up on election day will put the Republicans at a serious disadvantage. While many Trump supporters are enthusiastic, I am sure there are a lot of Republicans that aren’t quite sold on the Donald. Many will stay home on election day. Bad weather and maybe a fear of covid will also dampen election day turn out.

2 Likes

You will notice they haven’t repealed the ACA yet. Neither have they repealed Roe v Wade. Keeping those hot button social issues unresolved is important for the Republican Party. If they ever win either of those issues in the Supreme Court the fundraising gravy train ends and in the case of repealing the ACA, the Republican party probably ends.

3 Likes

“Republicans do this because they don’t believe Dems have the stones to play hardball like they do. And for a long time they’ve been correct,” she tweeted. “But do not let them bully the public into thinking their bulldozing is normal but a response isn’t. There is a legal process for expansion.”

This is just nonsense that again ignores history and I’m really sick of this framing. Under W, Republicans still needed 60 votes to get anything done. The 60 vote rule didn’t change until Republicans began blocking everything President Obama tried to do especially blocking his federal judge nominations. Ignoring the fact that the rules changed dramatically after Obama was elected may be fun in some circles, but it is incredibly dishonest to keep putting forth this narrative that Republicans have just been bulldozing over Democrats for decades and Democrats never did anything about it. It’s just obnoxious. If Joe wins and Dems take the Senate it’ll be the first opportunity Dems have had the power to do something about it.

8 Likes

Except for the Tlaib is fool remark I agree.
People need to wake up to the fact that Republicans are a minority party, and what the steps are to bring some parity into the situation.

5 Likes

Bottom line is AOC and her ilk should put a sock in it until it’s time to act. Don’t advertise your intentions or crow like the rooster until you have something to crow about. I know, AOC has a following and likes to keep in the news any way possible. There may be people who are turned off by Trump but may be even more turned off by AOC and may pull that lever for Trump instead because of her words.
She’s putting the cart before the horse. let’s win the damn election before we start talking shit. Besides, we should frame the issue differently. Not a word should be wasted when they are being quoted in the press by bringing up the hypocrisy of what Republicans did by not giving Garland a hearing because of a pending election.

4 Likes

Another good reason, more jobs!

1 Like

absolutely, when the time is right and most effective.
Right after the lights are turned back on and all the gop cockroaches scramble for cover.
The few who stick around to bitch about it, step on them until they pop

But I believe that a lot of Americans don’t quite see that the Rethugs are the minority Party. They think that parity already exists or else, why would most anyone vote for these racist scum? I believe that many Americans think there’s some kind of balance already in place. It’s going to take a lot more to disabuse them of that idea.

4 Likes

Yes I don’t believe in term limits -see MO legislature. And I get inundated by IL’s election ads for judges, which is unseemly in my opinion.

2 Likes

The arrogance of Mitch McConnell and the rightwing Senate has made it virtually impossible to NOT balance SCOTUS by adding more members who are moderate or even left of center.

1 Like

she wasn’t deflecting. she was allowed so she can preach her crap around here how she has always helped the little people.
way way to late for her

3 Likes

AZ,CO and ME look solid. NC still looks pretty good.

2 Likes

Absolutely Agree sheesh

3 Likes

Given the uninformed electorate who are sending the stupidest and worst, not the best and brightest to Congress and the WH, there is no way this should be an elected position.
I have enough trouble deciding on local and state Judges, with the help of attorneys who know these candidates and whose judgement I trust.

4 Likes

2 Likes
3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available