Progressive Dems Ramp Up Calls To Expand SCOTUS In Wake Of ACB Confirmation

Given how awful the SCOTUS was in the Wisconsin decision, my main hope is that on election day, Biden is ahead and it’s Trump who sues to keep counting. I have no doubt the court will reverse itself and make plain that there is no choice but to expand the court because they’re not trying these cases in good faith. It will be understandable to the public and if the Dems do it quickly, 4 years from now it will just be accepted.

Let’s not kid ourselves though. We’ve never had to contend with a SCOTUS so willing to interject themselves into an election like this. Bush v. Gore doesn’t compare. We’re going to need a landslide. Kavanaugh and co. may have just taken Wisconsin out of the win column.

2 Likes

Not even close. We’re so in this to win this.

I’ve recounted this story on TPM Hive a few times, but I volunteered to help with the election in a week. My task is going to be to help tally over 1,000 absentee ballots that have been filed in a village that has only about 4,000 residents. We’re close to exceeding early voting numbers from 2016. No, my friend, between all the Fed Government stuff and the inability of the GOP WI legislature to facilitate anything with respect to managing the virus (to wit, the legislature has not met in 200 days!!!), people are mad as hell and they’re turning out.

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/WI.html

Keep in mind, as you review these numbers, WI only has 5.8 million residents - that’s not voters. Residents, including kids, felons… the whole State.

3 Likes

For sure! We can’t leave the kids at K State behind. Plus, it’s right in the middle of Lou and Lex.

He won’t have to if he retires before the midterms or before the 2023 races in KY.

1 Like

Lol.

Why are you so afraid of Republicans?

This is a constant excuse for Democrats to refuse to act in any meaningful way.

News flash: Republicans ALWAYS vote. Elections turn on how motivated Democratic voters are. And flaccid leadership is bad for OUR turnout.

1 Like

I just want to see how the Republicans fit into this phylogeny. Are they arthropods? Or do we have to go out of the animal kingdom entirely?

Plants are too charismatic.

Fungi, perhaps?

It’s tempting to assign them the acellular slime molds.

1 Like

All good points.

Personally, I’d like to see Republicans studied as a branch of paleontology.

1 Like

Calling for a “commission” to look into it is a punt on 1st down. I know it’s asking a lot for democrats to take decisive action, but that’s what’s needed.

And that exhausts my one sports metaphor per year allotment.

1 Like

But so much of the US political world, and especially actually getting people to the polls, revolve around OPTICS, not substance and strategic thinking.

We have seen over and over that voters can be motivated to vote or not vote by the most inconsequential and/or inaccurate statements by controversial figures.

Definitely we should expand SCOTUS. But why would we want to give Rethuglicans that didn’t plan to vote for Trump a reason to vote “to preserve the sanctity of The Court” by voting agains the Dems? Why would we want to look too radical to the “Corporate” Democratic voters and risk them not voting because of misunderstood talking points.

The catch phrases BLM, Defund the Police, and Deplorables have all proven to be easy to intentionally misrepresented, and have been manipulated to motivate the Rethug base. We should grow up a bit, have a little patience, and hold our cards close for one more week.

Current polling says Cunningham wins.

1 Like

Now who’s spouting on something ‘so 2003’? No R’s don’t always vote. About 47% of registered voters do. This election is all about Trump fatigue. When a slice of Republicans will not vote for him unless somehow energized by 1-issue to do so. How difficult is it to not do that for another week?

I’m all for expanding the SCOTUS. But strategically-- we’re all much better off if Trump is the focus for the next 7 days. There are several Senate races that really don’t need more R’s to vote.

Afraid of Republicans? Not hardly junior.
Afraid of fools who have no strategic sense.

1 Like

Which raises the question about voters in Kentucky…why are they so stupid that they have had the wool pulled over their eyes for over 30 years? FIVE STINKING Times.

3 Likes

True for Biden, not so for Obama, at least at the Federal level. Obama got to the Senate in 2004, there already was no such thing as true bipartisanship. By that point the meaning of the word, was Democrats having to support Republican legislation, it was by no means a two way street

2 Likes

Yes but if you look at his record in Illinois statehouse there’s a lot of bipartisan crafting of bills. But then again that’s the Illinois Republican Party of that era not the “I hate Illinois Nazis”.

3 Likes

Expanding the Court is all well and good, but a lot of people are not going to go for it, Democrats, no preferences, people who vote but don’t don’t hang out here, a lot of perfectly fine people who have traditions too deeply ingrained, or who don’t think it can happen here, until it does at which point it is too late.

I’d prefer these illegitimate “trump” picks be removed from the bench, then expand the Court to match the Circuit Court Districts, then shove flaming liberal activist decisions down Thomas and Alito and Roberts throats till they puke.

You thought I was in a mood last week? This week is worse. Sorry.

2 Likes

I’m in California, I already voted by mail, I know my vote will be counted, and I know that mother effer isn’t going to cheat a win in California.

But, I have COVID concerns, but, if I lived in most any other state I would risk death at the polling place gladly to make sure my vote was counted against that traitor and every single republican puke on the ballot.

If your County has one ballot box, get yer ass to that ballot box and put it in there. And if you can’t, be prepared to wait in line, bring water, bring food, brink masks, bring a chair (and be willing to lose that chair if the authorities don’t let you bring it in) but get your ballot filled in and counted.

VOTE Democratic, VOTE Democratic, VOTE BIDEN, VOTE BIDEN!!

Okay, I’ve lost it!!!

1 Like

One thing that Obama got wrong was squandering capital the first 100 days of his Presidency by trying to be all fair and bipartisan. I sincerely hope that we have learned that this time, the moment the Presidency, the Senate, and the House are in Democratic hands, we use the momentum and power to kick Republican ass and make the spirit of FDR proud.

6 Likes

effectively takes it off of the table as question for the press

I just spoke to one of my contract house representatives this morning about a possible new gig for me (!).

He lives in GA. He told me this morning that he has already voted and that the safety precautions in his polling place outstripped any other place he’s been since the pandemic struck. Everything was clean, sterilized, one-use, yadda, yadda, yadda.

No worries about the ballot box - you’re safer there than just about anywhere, based on his experience.

2 Likes

That is the upside of that strategy, but it’s a short term solution.

2 Likes

Your comment makes the spirit of FDR proud – if you don’t mind my saying so.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available