Porter Reminds Newsom Of Vow To Fill Feinstein’s Seat With A Black Woman

Rep. Katie Porter (D-CA) said on Sunday if Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) chooses to retire before finishing her term, California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) should keep his promise to choose a Black woman to take the longtime senator’s seat. It’s the latest subtle hint that House Democrats might know more about Feinstein’s political future than her office has made public. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1447406
1 Like

Does Katie plan to run or not because by reminding Newsom of his pledge, she’s inadvertently promoting Barbara Lee. I’m in California and I’m all in for Adam Schiff taking this seat so the chatter doesn’t matter.

22 Likes

I got nothin’, except…
fRisT!

ETA
But apparently not fRisT enough.

30 Likes

Rep. Porter isn’t wrong to say what she said, and she made good political use of Newsom’s promise.

14 Likes

Porter Reminds Newsom Of His Vow To Fill Feinstein’s Seat With A Black Woman

“Sounds good to me!”

10 Likes

Certainly agree with that even though it is a rarity in the biz. Other than that it’s not clear why Porter would make an issue of this but what is clear is that Democratic leadership knew more about Feinstein’s retirement plans than we did or at least believe they do. Still, this all does seem a trifle rude, pushing Feinstein out the door as they collectively try to pass through it the same time.

6 Likes

Looking at California from the outside, and thinking about my own beloved Krysten Sinema, I am just jealous that any state could have such a deep, deep bench.

42 Likes

I deeply respect Feinstein for her years of progressive service. That said, cognitive decline often carries with it anosognosia, which make it difficult or impossilbe for the sufferer to properly understand the limitations they have. Rude or not, if Feinstein is declining, she may very well need to be pushed.

https://www.dementiacarers.ca/when-the-person-with-dementia-doesnt-know-they-have-limitations-anosognosia/

24 Likes

What did you do to that cat to warrant such a hostile expression??

7 Likes

“It’s the latest subtle hint that House Democrats might know more about Feinstein’s political future than her office has made public.”

Or are trying to dictate that future.

(By smothering it with a pillow.)

19 Likes

Isn’t Feinstein still alive?

8 Likes

24 Likes

“She was coughin’ up blood this mornin’.”

5 Likes

inadvertantly?
Seems as if that is the very premise of her proffer.
Without saying it out loud.
Schiff’s great, I wish he was Garland, but I am one of those people who wants to see a much-MUCH more diverse representation, and the younger the better.
In so many ways, California has an abundance of leadership, not just by its size and population, but in that so many have distinguished themselves as progressive champions, in a nation that is backsliding in a hundred smaller places.
And, quite personally, whenever there is an “heir apparent” on a political ladder, something in my democracy ideal is challenged.
And I said “MY ideal”, others surely see it differently.
If Feinstein stepped down to allow Newsome to appoint Lee, then let them all run against her as the incumbent, sounds just peachy to me.
From what I read here,Katie Porter is thinking the same thing.

19 Likes

If Feinstein resigns or drops dead then Newsom can do as he pleases. Otherwise people run, voters vote and someone wins.

10 Likes

Circling the drain, eh. Well, you know, the old girl has been a good partner, but it’s time to ease her out of this life and let her pass over the rainbow bridge.

4 Likes

True, but the person in place, say Lee, has a distinct advantage come 2024. I love Porter, but my first choice at this point is Schiff. What do we know about Lee besides “black woman”?

4 Likes

Feinstein won’t step down and not after all the chatter about her needing to do so. If Porters runs and wins a senate seat her R district seat may revert to Red. Lee’s will not and neither will Schiff’s whom I’m going to support and that’s a done deal come 2024.

10 Likes

Every Salivating Pol Already Measuring the Drapes:

“We’re sending Sen. Feinstein to a farm in the country, where she can run and jump and be happy!”

27 Likes

Katie Porter is smart and knows more than is public, so if she’s making a statement like this that would look to be against her candidacy, its for good reasons.

My speculation is:

1. Something has happened recently with Diane Feinstein that makes CA Democrats think not only is she not going to run for re-election, but also not finish her current term.
  2. Porter is trying to preclude Newsom from appointing someone specific to finish the term. My guess is Adam Schiff.
38 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available