Porter Reminds Newsom Of Vow To Fill Feinstein’s Seat With A Black Woman

She is. But owing to her age and health, it’s widely expected that she won’t run again. The two obvious takeaways from Porter’s statement seem to be:

1. Porter perceives Schiff to be the more dangerous of the other candidates seeking the seat, and

2. Porter thinks that Feinstein may leave office before her term ends.

17 Likes

I’m taking her at her word that this is just the right thing to do, and not a political calculation.

Of course if it was a political calculation, then Porter might benefit by having more people splitting the primary vote.

3 Likes

It has been sad to watch Feinstein tarnish her own reputation by refusing to leave. It is past time to go. I have been a fan of hers, and have voted for her every time but she should have left with some dignity. Now she is going out looking like she is being pushed in a wheel barrow, out the door.

18 Likes

A little respect, please. Feinstein has been a great Senator. It’s not her fault that time has gotten the better of her.

9 Likes

Probably admitted the truth: “I love the dog more and always have.”

10 Likes

Okay. Maybe. But me, I have no idea how the future will unfold.

5 Likes

Schiff has had a conversation with Feinstein, I understand it was polite, but brief. Maybe he alluded to her not running again. And yes, being pushed as you seem to be favor of is rude and disrespectful as well as sexist and ageist. The woman is slipping, yes, but she’s not gaga.

Nobody’s pushing for Grassley to leave and he’s her age, and nobody pushed for Thurmond to leave though he was old and a racist

9 Likes

It’s snark.

8 Likes

Me neither. What’s interesting about this, though, is that Porter may be better-informed about Feinstein’s condition and intentions than we are.

2 Likes

We all grow old and perhaps with it slip. But I see an aging widowed woman who’s devoted to her work because there’s not much else to sustain her. Bunch of damned misogynists here. And that’s a fact. I’m talking to you @ralph_vonholst

@jim Only if Porter has had private tête-à-têtes with her and that’s not likely

Um, a multi-decade congressional career? If you don’t know anything about Barbara Lee, that is because you have willfully chosen not to know.

16 Likes

I wonder who Feinstein will support to replace her, if anyone?

And will that end up being good, bad, or neutral for that candidate?

1 Like

Actually, anosognosia is a real science thing that has nothing to do with sexism or ageism. It’s one of the more devastating aspects of dementia because the sufferer cannot be convinced that there is anything wrong. Check in with some families dealing with Alzheimer’s. Anosognosia is absolutely horrible.

We’re not Republicans. We don’t keep people in office who are not fit to serve. I’m not her or anyone’s doctor so I can’t say what her issue is but if Feinstein has dementia/anosognosia, then she needs to be pushed out of office because the Republic is more important than her feelings or even respect for her service.

As for Grassley, if he is exhibiting signs of dementia and anosognosia, then he should be pushed, as well. If the GOP doesn’t want to talk about it, well, chalk that up to the Trumpification of their voters - i.e. the majority of their party isn’t fit to serve but their voters consider that a feature and not a bug.

31 Likes

She could have what you think she has. No one knows. But being pushed out is about the worse thing that could be done to her. She served fearlessly and faithfully when she became the mayor after the City Hall murders and led us San Franciscans out of the abyss of grief. She had years of productivity including getting an assaults weapons ban passed in 1994 but it lapsed ten years later because the Rs insisted on it.

I hope you stop talking about pushing her out. It’s despicable.

3 Likes

DiL’s barn cat, returning home only to find a camera in his face. A feral rescue, he lacks certain people skills.

11 Likes

I hope you educate yourself about this disease.

4 Likes

Maybe her daughter Katherine Feinstein, a talented woman in her own right.

I don’t like the inference nor do I welcome your advice.

3 Likes

Eh. It’s a little rude to declare one’s candidacy before Feinstein announces her retirement, but only a little. I can see why Feinstein and her people might be mad, but as an ordinary CA voter, I don’t see any reason why I should take it personally.

5 Likes

As an outsider from a ridiculously red state with 2 senators and 3 reps who collectively have less talent and do no work for their constituents other than the white dudes, carrying guns and fearing women and minorities, I too look on with envy.
What has Katie done other than displaying her white board and talking tough?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available