Pompeo Dodges When Asked About Potential 2020 Senate Run

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was evasive on Monday morning when the hosts of “Fox and Friends” asked him if he planned on running for Senate in Kansas in 2020.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1281982

“It’s my intention to continue to stay and serve as President Trump’s secretary of state.”

Does Giuliani know you’re pretending to do his job.

15 Likes

KaNSaS doesn’t neeD a rhiNo. KansaS neEds kobaCH!

5 Likes

Whether a SoS, U.S. Senator, or human being, Pompeo is oily and slippery.

8 Likes

[“I’ve watched my life take turns that one would never have expected, but it’s not something I want to do,” the secretary of state responded]

For once he’s telling the truth, even if only inadvertently

7 Likes

With any luck, they’ll send him to Leavenworth after the trial. Then he’ll be a resident of Kansas. I’m sure that they can get around any technicalities such as being a federal felon.

13 Likes

Yep. He’s running.

2 Likes

"I’m serving President Trump and, I hope, doing a good term for the American people as well.”

A tacit admission that serving the whims of Trump and doing good for the American people are only occasionally compatible goals.

16 Likes

The Kansas GOP has an embarrassment of riches. They get to choose between Pompeo and Kris Kobach.

8 Likes

VOTE for POMPEO
----He’ll do for Kansas like he did for the State Department

I’m working on the bumper stickers. Not quite there yet.

7 Likes

Pompeii - Oh

14 Likes

The Dems could probably beat Kobach, but not Pompeo, so I am rooting for Kobach. There may be more dirt forthcoming on Pompeo, which might be why he is playing coy.

6 Likes

If Pompeo wins the seat it will be interesting to see how Giuliani represents the people of Kansas in the Senate.

10 Likes

Since no one would want the State job, Pompeo will not only be Senator he will also keep his State job.
If this is not legal Trump will sign an Executive Order making it so.

2 Likes

Might be possible. You do not actually have to be a member of the House to be named Speaker.

1 Like

It’s a pretty clear conflict, though. Congress is charged with executive oversight–it was the Framers’ answer to the ancient question, “Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?” (Who will watch the watchers?)

You can’t simultaneously be in charge of implementing policy and monitoring its implementation.

3 Likes

Does he handle his emails properly? There was a question about the handling of emails (and improper servers) for a previous SoS… hope he is following the law.

5 Likes

Embarrassment? Yes.
Riches? Not so much…

4 Likes

FIFY

4 Likes

Pompeo sounds scared. He is being pressured to stay in the SoS position, someone, probably Rudy, has something career ending on him. Life is not going the way pampered fat man Pompeo thought it would. Sad.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available