Polls Show Some Troubling Republican Trends

The toplines of a tranche of new polls released since the Capitol insurrection show general themes: that Americans do not support the takeover of their government seat, and that President Donald Trump’s approval rating is steadily dropping. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1354918
1 Like

The revolution will not be televised, but it will be spot-polled.

64 Likes

of the 78 percent [of Republicans] who approve of GOP lawmakers’ attempts to help Trump overturn the election, 51 percent said they didn’t go far enough.

Lobotomies all round.

On me.

49 Likes

In other words, the polls reflect that Republicans are, by and large, still traitors and imbeciles. Color me shocked. Next you’ll try to tell me that water is still wet.

60 Likes

Around a third of registered voters in the U.S. (34%) identify as independents, while 33% identify as Democrats and 29% identify as Republicans

The math isn’t on their side IMO.

55 Likes

“When one party has so fully absorbed the fictionalized account that Biden is an illegitimate president, true “unity” seems a long way off.”

I just hope President Biden will do what he can and not get bogged down trying to change a unchangeable.

38 Likes

Democrats in the same poll overwhelmingly saw the Republican lawmakers as undermining democracy by 90 percent, with only 9 percent saying they were protecting it.

Only 9%? Only?!?! WTF! Insanity isn’t just a GOP affliction?!

29 Likes

This is why Stacey Abrams is such a hero.

46 Likes

Trump was a known liar long before he became president. Many Republicans found his lack of refinement (to put it nicely) refreshing. He’s not a politician, they posited. He says what he thinks, without worrying about the consequences.They were ready to be lied to and they have bought his BS hook, line and sinker. Twitter gave him the bullhorn. And those of us who can think rationally are now surrounded by these brainwashed Trumpers. What is our way out?

37 Likes

The constant bleating of a rigged and fraudulent election worked on self identified Republicans. The lie was fed to the hungry masses by the shovel full. It will take years to recover from this and the GOP may never recover. It is now and may remain the party of seditionists.

41 Likes

But the crosstabs reveal a much darker picture. Majorities of Republican voters do not hold Trump or GOP lawmakers responsible for the violence their election fraud lies helped incite,

A-holes.

and in some cases are even inclined to be sympathetic to the rioters themselves.

F$%&ing A-holes.

31 Likes

tq

"The math isn’t on their side "

Probably a driver in the upheaval at the Capitol

20 Likes

On today’s episode of “Shit We Already Knew”, we discuss new polling that confirms the fact that the GOP and its constituents tore up the social contract several decades ago…

49 Likes

I wonder who they voted for.

10 Likes

No it is not, and the money figure is 61% of Independents disapproving.

Also 71% approval among Republicans isn’t good for them at all. That leaves close to 30% of their base up for grabs, or at least needing something not Trump from Republicans to remain on board. From what I’ve read, Republicans are switching their voter registrations at a pretty impressive rate.

39 Likes

This reminds me of something I once read about motes in my brothers’ eye…

2 Likes

We all need to step back and take a breath.

This is all still very fresh. Let’s see where we are in 6 months and a year from now.

Trump is very likely going to be indicted in a few months in New York state court for tax, insurance and banking fraud.

A lot is going to happen in the next several months.

52 Likes

Isn’t it ironic that the GOP’s big lie has them now living in fear that their base will kill them? They made their bed now they have to lie in it.

34 Likes

These numbers won’t change until there is a significant change in the business models of the various right wing media sites. I think that only happen if corporate America demands right wing media start promoting truth. Somehow the right wing media generated reality bubble needs to be popped. Until then these numbers won’t change.

30 Likes

Majorities of Republican voters do not hold Trump or GOP lawmakers responsible for the violence their election fraud lies helped incite, and in some cases are even inclined to be sympathetic to the rioters themselves.
… … …
I put the blame squarely in Fox News’ and other right wing media’s laps. They successfully brain washed millions of people.

33 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available