Polls Show Some Troubling Republican Trends

Seventy one percent of Republicans somewhat or strongly approve of the Trump supporters protesting the Electoral College certification— approval only slips when the Trump supporters breached the Capitol building itself.

Though Trump is the luckiest president in history, his supporters are going to hate a no strings popular vote.

22 Likes

And not one of these polls use FACTS. The media does not use FACTS. Nobody talks to these people and show them FACTS. FOX etal lie, lie, lie and that is what they ‘believe’.

5 Likes

Imagine JFK during the Cuban Missile Crisis…with FOX News on the scene.

23 Likes

Remember when the tea party was the absolute worst thing in recent times? That was just the beginning of the Rethugs on their way to hell.

26 Likes

Way, way back in the Beforetime, in 2009, TPM briefly had reader blogs like Kos, I wrote an essay about the people who abandoned the GOP in the wake of Bush II’s massive misfeasance, failure and war criming in 2006 and 2008. Most of them switched to independent and stayed that way. And I compared them to the people in the asylum who gave the crazy people their meds, explaining that the need to keep those voters onboard was the last remaining moderating influence on the party’s degeneration into openly embracing extremism and once they were gone, the inmates were in charge.

Well, the inmates are still in charge. The new indies stayed that way and, bereft of responsibility, kept voting for Republicans more often than Democrats which only made the crazies crazier.

So when I see a poll like this, I’m not surprised the GOP is the concentrated essence of insanity. That is a result of a smaller party that concentrated the crazy. Instead, I always look to the Indie numbers now. And those numbers are not looking good for the GOP here. Though to be sure regionalized polarization mitigates the damage to them.

53 Likes

13 Likes

“America, love it or leave it”, said, tauntingly, over and over, to peaceful protestors against legal segregation and later against the aggressive wars in VietNam and Iraq. Maybe it’s time for these folks to pack up their bags.

18 Likes

“Majorities of Republican voters do not hold Trump or GOP lawmakers responsible for the violence their election fraud lies helped incite, and in some cases are even inclined to be sympathetic to the rioters themselves.”

And this is why you can’t “appeal” to these voters: They’re coup-coup.

When the naked, homeless guy runs down the street, angrily screaming that he’s Jesus Christ, “I’ll meet you halfway, at John The Baptist” is NOT a valid response.

50 Likes

Shorter summary: Americans don’t support the President, but Republicans do.

33 Likes

The Republicans responded to losses in 2008 and 2012 by becoming crazier. But now that they are the party of QShaman, that route really seems blocked. The money people have a real dilemma-they like low taxes but they absolutely don’t want QShaman to be their next President. In fact, they fear him and his unwashed pals so much that they seem at least for now to be willing to accept somewhat higher taxes and doing something about systemic racism and climate change. Maybe this really is the inflection point, because without the money people on board, the GOP is toast.

18 Likes

The man truly is The Mule. Asimov never ceases to be prescient in times of unrest.

8 Likes

Including information coming out of investigations that shows this was far more organized, planned and reached further into the ranks of congress, government and law enforcement, etc., than anyone currently imagines.

It’s going to be glorious.

20 Likes

Those ‘independent’ numbers could also demonstrate that they are the ones that shift back and forth, depending on the candidate. Even when Rump became president there had to have been a huge migration away from the group that had voted for Obama’s two presidencies. That despite Clinton’s 3 million more votes. That election also saw 16% of Sanders supporters voting for Rump.

3 Likes

Bless their dark little diseased hearts.

4 Likes

I hate polls, don’t think they’re reality based, at least my reality.

2 Likes

When one party has so fully absorbed the fictionalized account that Biden is an illegitimate president, true “unity” seems a long way off.

Well, quite. That’s why Biden’s unity theme–inevitable and understandable, in many respects–must be instrumental and not an article of faith. In other words, by all means occupy the ‘unity’ high ground. But by no means believe for a second that it will actually produce unity, or that appeasing or sympathizing or offering policy treats will have any effect on Republican voters. We tried that for eight years and it gave us Trump.

24 Likes

Americans still willing to identify as Republicans support Trump.

7 Likes

This is why everyone must demand any conversation with Republican official or spokesperson (or “conservative”), talking head, etc. be predicated on them saying aloud:

“Trump lied, Biden won fair and square in the November election.”

I am not joking.

Do not let any Republican speak a word without saying the above sentence. It must be made a mandatory act before allowing them to say anything else. A literal litmus test before allowing them to engage in any discussion on anything.

They refuse?

Shut down the interview/walk away.

31 Likes

When a person responds to a pollster’s question about party affiliation, they tend to answer the rest of the questions based not on sober reflection on policy issues, but rather what they understand to be the party line as they’ve heard it on their preferred news and opinion outlets and circle of friends. Most people are not familiar with the details of national or local policies, and in the face of that ignorance they take their cues from their political environment. Moreover, when you have no facts at your command, you have only emotion to rely on.

Politicians of course know this, and so they are always trying to win the day by winning over hearts, not minds.

If Biden can set a good example of responsible leadership and empathy, and if he manages to get a handle on the covid situation and the economic situation, then the national mood will brighten and the polls on whatever topic will change accordingly.

12 Likes

This is scary! It would appear that probably north of 25% of the electorate may being feeling that the Bastille should be overrun. If that’s true, what the fuck do we do?

As a small government conservative and a veteran, this scares the shit out of me. I mean, short of re-education camps (which I sure as hell am against), how do you turn that large a group of people around. I don’t think “good” government does it in 2 to 4 years.

I can think of all sorts of things that our “enlightened” government has done over the last 30 years to get us here, but I don’t see how a “scared shitless” government gets us out of the hole we’ve allowed to be dug.

Any of you that follow my comments know I’m usually quick to judge and offer a solution, but I’m totally at sea over this. After having written this, I’m more scared than ever.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available