Planned Parenthood Exits Federal Family Planning Program Over Abortion Gag Rule | Talking Points Memo

Planned Parenthood is leaving the federal government’s Title X program, which funds family planning services for low-income people, due to a new Trump administration rule prohibiting health care providers from making abortion referrals.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1243499
1 Like

So the court is granting en banc review of the panel’s decision to lift the stay on the gag rule, and they’re hearing it in a pretty expedited schedule? I don’t see how that bodes well for the gag rule.

Note that en banc review is different in the 9th Circuit than elsewhere. The 9th has so many judges that an en banc panel means the chief judge (a Clinton appointee) and 10 randomly-selected judges. If I am reading the 9th Circuit’s local rules correctly, the panel doesn’t get selected until after the full court has voted in favor of taking a case to en banc review.

ETA: Okay, it turns out that the plaintiffs got a terrible draw for the en banc panel:

Members of En Banc Court : THOMAS, Chief Judge, and LEAVY, WARDLAW, W. FLETCHER, PAEZ, BYBEE, CALLAHAN, M. SMITH, JR., IKUTA, MILLER, AND LEE, Circuit Judges

That’s four Clinton appointees, one senior-status Reagan guy, four W. Bush appointees, and two Trumpers.

12 Likes

You have the en banc procedure right.
Most important is that woman may well die because cancer screening and other services affecting the health of women - including pregnant women - will have to be curtailed.
I’m about to increase my contribution to Planned Parenthood.

20 Likes

The lunatic pseudo-Christian right will be after access to contraception next. And the Trumpist “Krazy Kourts” will go along because something, something, sincere religious beliefs, yada, yada. Just watch.

21 Likes

I can’t believe how well this ages.

“They tell you that there’s a war on women. There is no war on women. There may be a war on what’s inside of women, but there is no war on women in this country.”
— Dr. “Uncle Sleepy” Ben Carson, noted somnambulist and World Class Asshole

27 Likes

Funny. A baker can refuse to bake a cake for a gay couple, because of their 1st Amendment Rights.

But a doctor can’t engage in their 1st Amendment Rights to advise a patient about healthcare options.

Got it.

36 Likes

How is this confusing? “Feel free to say whatever we agree with. Otherwise STFU.”

7 Likes

Ummmm… You’re a few years late to that party… Hobby Lobby…

12 Likes

Get out the credit cards, guys and gals.

14 Likes

What, Trump hasn’t ordered Planned Parenthood to be sanctioned and severed from the U.S. banking system yet?

4 Likes

There is a lot more than just Planned Parenthood being impacted by this sort of thing. This particular odious regulation seems to be separate from the “Global Gag Rule,” which was reinstated by the Trump admin immediately after taking office. They blocked all international aid based on the same rules that they are now imposing on PP.

13 Likes

I’d like to see the DNC or maybe a bunch of Presidential Democratic Candidates put up a potful of funding, regularly scheduled funding, to PPFA, organize a fundraiser and so on.

And write the legislation that’s going in place when the GOP and Trump implode after the next election takes Moscow Mitch’s gavel away, and Trump’s job. And all of Trump’s judges are impeached for gross failure of following their oaths of office.

3 Likes

In case that wasn’t clear, my post wasn’t aimed at castor_troy but expressing my frustration at gop hypocrisy.

5 Likes

Almost every day there is another wallop of bad news from the actions of this Republican Party and shitty administration. Will there be anything left of civilization by the end of 2020?

6 Likes

This is way past policy and completely into punishment.

For an incompetent bunch of assholes they sure manage to do a lot of really bad things.

10 Likes

I hope that this works out for Planned Parenthood, and gets them out from under the thumb of the “I don’t want my taxes paying for abortions” types. As long as abortion is legal, there should be no reason that it should not be covered as any other legal medical procedure might be, at least in terms of funding options. The Hyde Amendment is an abomination. I don’t want my taxes going to pay crazy jerks like Ted Cruz and Steve King, but that is just the way it works.

9 Likes

Note that the State of Illinois has also notified HHS that they will not be able to accept any Title X funding.

11 Likes

OK, so poor women really need to have more unwanted children? Their logic is positively “geometric.” Unbelievable how they fight so hard for the rights of a fetus but lose interest the moment the child leaves the womb.

6 Likes

If you call golf civilization…

2 Likes

I must say, I’ve been pleased with Pritzker so far. I really think it’s terrible in general rich fucks buying their way into office (e.g., Rauner, Trump) but JB has done everything he said he’d do during the primary. And with the exception of the Chicago Tribune editorial board, I think most Illinoisians are happy that things are getting done.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available