Pelosi Will Not Seek Reelection To Dem Leadership In Next Congress - TPM – Talking Points Memo

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (R-CA) announced today she will not seek reelection to Democratic leadership but will continue in her role as a representative.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1439870

Thank you Speaker Pelosi!

55 Likes

Thanks for everything Madam Speaker!

67 Likes

Best time to leave is right before you wear your welcome out. Thank you for your service Ms Nancy!

17 Likes

Et tu, Hakeem?

4 Likes

Jeffries
Clyburn
Clark
?

Or are we still stuck with Steny

She served with honor and showed what a real leader should be. The history books will show her incredible ability to get things done and they will also note how the Senate fell down on the job with their slavish adherence to the filibuster.

46 Likes

It’s sad that she’s ending on this note. You have to assume the attack on her husband was the final straw.

History will be kind to her.

50 Likes

The greatest Democratic legislative leader of my lifetime.

43 Likes

Good move. Would you want to deal with a speaker McCarthy? And it is time to go.

7 Likes

Thank you, Madame Speaker, you are a giant amongst mortals

57 Likes

She’s not leaving the House, as I read it, but stepping down from a leadership position.

“I will not seek re-election to Democratic leadership in the next Congress,” Pelosi said to a packed chamber. “For me the hour has come for a new generation to lead the Democratic caucus that I so deeply respect.”

22 Likes

Had the Dems held the House, I bet she would have stayed on for a while as Speaker. As it is, she be mentoring the next generation of great Democratic House leaders. She is leaving in style. We won’t see the likes of her again.

32 Likes

And it seems the attack did TKTK

I just learned that “TK” stands for “to come”. Wikipedia tells me that “TK, and especially the repeated TKTK, is a unique and visually arresting string that is both easily seen in running text and easily searched for, helping editors ensure that placeholders do not end up in published text.”

ETA When I write, I’ve evolved the habit of using XXX for this function, but I know one day that string will get published and the unintended connotations may be awkward.

8 Likes

Why exactly is it time to go?

5 Likes

GOAT speaker.

18 Likes

If they can wake him up they’ll ask him to go.

4 Likes

In history she will be listed as one of the legislative greats along with Clay, Sherman, Rayburn & LBJ.

16 Likes

Going to be a tough act to follow. I suspect she was a great ally but a fearsome enemy, and she did a great job keeping everyone on board. Especially give the catnip-addled nature of the Dem caucus. Getting the progressive sub-group on board for the build back better (despite the half-a-loaf nature) shows sanity on both her side and maturity on theirs.

I did read the “6 years old” comment in the story, and was like “she’s been in the House that long” but then realized she must have visited as a kid :slight_smile:

16 Likes

She may go down in history as the most powerful Speaker of the 21st c. Her leadership will be missed!

Meanwhile, I heard somebody say that his brother in law reported that he overheard in the local MAGA diner that there’s a big celebration going on a Mara Lago, with music and dancing, as well as ice cream and hamburgers.

(Note: that last part is a lie. But it COULD be true!)

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available