Pelosi Stands Ground On Impeachment Despite Ukrainian Bombshells

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said Friday that while she has not changed her mind on the futility of pursuing impeachment charges against President Donald Trump, she’s all for passing laws to constrain his power and make clear that he can be indicted while in office.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1250116

Keep talking donnie, and keep tweeting up a storm. Keep digging that hole. Screw yourself even more. Never stop making a fool of yourself.
Thst way you will get impeached. Or when you are thrown out of office you’ll be indicted six ways from Sunday.
I hope the Congress does pass laws that remove that stupid DoJ memo crap. No president should ever be above the law.

25 Likes

I’m with her.

7 Likes

“House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said Friday that while she has not changed her mind on the futility of pursuing impeachment charges against President Donald Trump, she’s all for passing laws to constrain his power and make clear that he can be indicted while in office.”

Sure, I can see common sense laws reining in the Executive and providing for penalties for criminality. McConnell will allow a vote on those, for sure.

27 Likes

It’s very obvious at this point Pelosi will ignore every criminal act perpetrated by Trump for the remainder of his term. She just wants to limp to election day with the republic somehow not burned to the ground.

33 Likes

Blockquote “Reports of a reliable whistleblower complaint regarding the President’s communications with a foreign leader raise grave, urgent concerns for our national security,”

But I’m more interested in the political ramifications that impeachment may cause rather than the good of my country.

15 Likes

Pass laws??? How exactly will that work with the Rethug Senate?
Unknown-1

I think I’m just giving up.

12 Likes

Jon Favreau: Trump is seeking foreign assistance to win another election but House Democrats are reluctant to impeach him because they’re afraid it will help him win another election.

Does she realize how many young voters, finally enthused and registered, are so dismayed by her lack of action?

53 Likes

Talk about futility! Passing laws to hold the president accountable?

If this is not what the Constitutional remedy for a corrupt president is for, than why pretend that the Constitution is a document that we follow? Waiting for an election is harmful to the rule of law and the belief therein.

She is wrong here.

34 Likes

It’s Saturday morning and I’m thinking … “Jejune Fatalism!!! Yeah!!!

6 Likes

I believe the Speaker that impeachment doesn’t have a majority in the House. It’s not enough to indiscriminately thrown every Republican the heck out. Although we should. We also have to persuade a bunch of Democrats by facts, logic, rhetoric and primary challenge.

13 Likes

Don’t worry. If we have elections, and they’re not reduced to a farce by tampering, and a Democrat is elected, that president won’t be above the law.

But from here on out, the moment the (non-Democrat) president has one of the chambers of Congress on their side, they’ll become completely invulnerable. And, they won’t even need that if at least one chamber is run by Pelosi or someone like her.

No chance of taking the Senate, at this rate. Why bother? Pelosi has yet to embrace the obvious message: “If you want Trump removed and prosecuted, the Senate needs to flip”.

10 Likes

I see your point. All the cons would vote against it. How many red state Dems would? It’s not a stretch to conclude that she doesn’t have the votes.

14 Likes

Passing legislation? She is going insane. Pelosi is going to end up destroying the Democratic Party. She is in substance in cahoots with the GOP to give the president absolute carte blanche to break the law. She is even suggesting that the president rewrite the laws. It’s absolutely crushing. I don’t know where to turn at this point. We busted our ass to put this woman in charge and now she’s repaying us by saying that the fact that she’s in charge means it’s impossible for her to do anything. It’s a fundamental rupture of the logic of supporting the Democratic Party. It isn’t psychologically doable.

41 Likes

she said that “the Founders could never suspect that a president would be so abusive of the Constitution of the United States, that the separation of powers would be irrelevant to him and that he would continue, any president would continue, to withhold facts from the Congress, which are part of the constitutional right of inquiry.”

The Founders never supected that a craven senate and a spineless house of representatives would both sit and watch a president run amok beyond the founders’ worst nightmares.

42 Likes

Perhaps Madame Speaker can propose a constitutional amendment simply removing impeachment as an option. If not Trump, if not now, if not in the face of this administration, then when?

29 Likes

I am so tired of hearing about how she is playing 16D chess and we need to just trust the process.She is a fucking joke. i’m sure Schiff will send out another sternly worded tweet too. this is outrageous.

24 Likes

As I said on another thread, the House continues not to do anything and this does not inspire people to come out to vote. Or you come out to vote, and lookey there, why tRump has won again. What a surprise.

7 Likes

“the Founders could never suspect that a president would be so abusive of the Constitution of the United States, that the separation of powers would be irrelevant to him"

Wrong. Trump is a problem, but he is not the biggest problem. That disgusting distinction goes to the republican party that enables Trump’s corruption.

21 Likes

I respect Pelosi. But isn’t now the time to be screaming to the rafters about corruption and treason? Even hyperbolic hysterical ranting would be better than this mollycoddling.

18 Likes