Pelosi Emphasizes Dangers Of Reopening Economy

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) argued Wednesday that reopening the economy in the middle of the COVID-19 outbreak, as President Donald Trump desperately wants, isn’t worth the deadly consequences.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1307702

There you have it laid out plainly for all to see. And why not? It worked in New Zealand.

22 Likes

Thank you for being the voice of reason, Madame Speaker. Keep saying it louder and more forcefully.

30 Likes

“…cheering people on [who are] going with guns and swastikas to the legislature…”

I can remember when burning the Reichstag was an atrocity, not a GOP strategy.

G-d, I’m old…

32 Likes

Next ploy

“President Trump has complained to advisers about the way coronavirus deaths are being calculated, suggesting the real numbers are actually lower — and a number of his senior aides share this view, according to sources with direct knowledge.”

18 Likes

Always good to hear from the moral leader of the country.

23 Likes

I’m becoming more and more convinced tha every action taken by this Pretender POS President is intended to cause more death, pain, and suffering. There really can be no other explanation for his inaction and deliberate and willful ignorance of what this country is facing right now.

16 Likes

She’s so negative.

(Relax, it’s snark.)

4 Likes

Deadly Consequences? That’s the name of Trump’s new reality show. (Thanks to Mark Burnett for creating this monster)

4 Likes

Trump is an idiot’s idiot.

The timing works for him but it also screams:

“THIS NARRATIVE LETS ME OFF THE HOOK!!”

11 Likes

Of course he does (they do). He is NEVER wrong and EVERYBODY is out to get him and his administration. When you are ignorant of the facts and are losing, scream and throw out bogus info to make it seem like you MIGHT be correct. The base eats that poop up.

6 Likes

I wish Madame Speaker had said, “Andrea, why don’t you invite renowned expert Sarah Palin --anybody remember her? – to discuss the finer points of death panels proposed by the GOP?”

13 Likes

A real nasty woman!

2 Likes

It just occurred to me at lunch watching Trump blather on the noon news that this is completely about Trump thinking he needs to have a good economy in order to get reelected.

The economy could go to hell and it wouldn’t matter if he’d do things to help the situation. The US could just provide free services to keep people fed, housed, clothed, health care provided for, etc. and print money as needed.

Hell that would probably get him elected faster regardless of the economy if people were kept from dying by the thousands.

I don’t like the war comparison Trump uses, but looking at it money and economy wise it’s exactly what happened in ww1 and ww2. The govenment subsidized everything to get us through that and then straightened it out after. I think that the big thing folks have the hardest time wrapping their minds around. The deficit isn’t money we own any one or other country.

Sorry if I’m slow to pick up on this, but apparently not as slow, ignorant, or non-caring as Trump seems to be.

13 Likes

The real numbers are higher. Without universal testing including of people who died outside the hospital it seems like the only close to accurate numbers are those developed by demographer/epidemiologists comparing statistically expected deaths to actual deaths.

About opening the country: Korea for example is opening up because they have almost defeated Covid 19. They did it with immediate response, immediate widespread testing, quarantine, and all kinds of costly things we wouldn’t think of doing like comprehensive contact tracing and daily home visits.

Any often heard arguments like “we’re a much bigger country with a much larger population” are bullshit. Seoul has a population of almost 10 million. South Korea has a population of about 52 million. It’s smaller than New York State. It’s like a major US state, which is where the most Covid 19 cases are. All our relatively unpopulated states are easier.

11 Likes

Listening to CNBC Fridays numbers are going to be off the hook,each number is a person/families in pain.

3 Likes

Memo to Trump, and his assorted enablers and sycophants:

2 Likes

The Democratic leader said that the government can mitigate the outbreak and thus end stay-at-home orders by “doing things in a way that is appropriate,” such as testing, social distancing and following health officials’ guidelines.

Pelosi bases her assertions on a false premise, that of the capabilities of our current Federal government.

I think at this point, 1 in 10 home visits in rural America would be met at the door by a meathead with a gun.

4 Likes

To put it more succinctly, Trump and his cronies are murderers.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available