Pelosi Calls Stone Commutation ‘An Act Of Staggering Corruption’ | Talking Points Memo

Your language is too vague here to mean anything. What do you want them to do? Don’t say “fight.” Tell me what they can do to vanquish the beasts, in practical steps that are viable. I’ve heard nothing about AWOL Democrats. All I’ve been hearing is they’re making a real fight of it and those states are in play.

16 Likes

At least his available tools to cause further damage will be limited.

There will no doubt be pardons galore, but the administration will be shifting underneath him as the transition takes place. That’s already in the planning stage between the Trump administration and Biden’s team. It’s required by law in case the other candidate wins, to insure a smooth transition.

On top of that, Congress and the rest of DC shuts down during the holiday season, so he won’t be able to do anything with legislation. All he can do is pardons, and firing off dozens of Executive Orders that will have no time to go into effect. And that Biden will immediately countermand right after he’s inaugurated.

6 Likes

I think Thursday’s decisions indicate that SCOTUS believes that presidential power has limits. I hope that means self-pardon falls outside of the scope of those powers.

9 Likes

Blame McConnell ,his Senate and the wealthy who would love to make Trump president forever.

3 Likes

Texas, Florida, and Arizona all have impeachment in their Constitutions. That power lies in the state legislatures. In all three states, the GOP controls both houses of the legislature.

We are agreed that the Republican brand needs to be pulled out, root and branch, from our body politic.

12 Likes

Continuing down the “what if” trail, the pardon power is expressly denied in cases of impeachment. Trump was impeached, so would a self pardon be ineffective for any cases derived from the articles of impeachment, or would the Fab Five declare that “cases of impeachment” really means impeached by the House, convicted by the Senate, and removed from office?

3 Likes

Every legal scholar I’ve read treats the idea with absolute scorn. It’s absurd. No sane person could argue the founders meant anything of the sort.

19 Likes

Could it be that the less she says the contrast in style and content in policies becomes amplified? It works for Biden.

Same goal but different approaches. Someone’s gotta do the shouting. Would like to see Congress soften up Trump for Biden, come November. Keep him crazy like he does to us, don’t give him the opportunity to find his way through this monster shit storm.

1 Like

We aren’t talking about sane people. We are talking about Roberts, Thomas, Alito, Kavanope, and Gorsuch.

4 Likes

Three of those people voted to give Trump’s taxes to prosecutors.

19 Likes

Even a blind pig finds the occasional acorn.

ETA: My comment about sane people was partly meant in jest.

2 Likes

His handlers hold ALL the cards… They must know some shit that would cause the populace to march on 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, drag him out into the streets and beat him to a bloody pulp.

20 Likes

I think the last 3 1/2 years has put that argument to rest. Case in point, the GOP lawyers argued in the Supreme Court that the president has absolute immunity.

@stradivarius50t3

4 Likes

I know-- right?
Mean to say though-- that yes, if Greg Abbott rolled up and knocked on my door?
I’d put on my nitrile gloves, my N95 mask-- I’d step into the hallway and cold-cock him. No doubt.

But other than that unlikely event?
I have no more pom-poms to give.

3 Likes

Money laundering for decades.

15 Likes

I imagine trump and his co-conspirators and handlers will resist cooperating with the incoming administration to the fullest extent possible. He will be the whiniest, most egregious sore loser in the history of sore losers. He will actively sabotage whatever he can and go down swinging. I think the level of personal danger for Biden and his team will be very high.

5 Likes

I get that, and I know we vie with each other to state things in lively terms. The conservative five are highly partisan, some more than others. They’ve all taken extreme positions. But now we’re talking about a ridiculous, absurd one. They’ve demonstrated they’re not all willing to go that far in every case. That’s setting aside the nuclear damage Trump would do to himself politically if he tried.

4 Likes

I hate you when you tell so much truth in so few words! :clap::clap::clap:

9 Likes

That’s why I do it so rarely.

4 Likes

I can imagine Trump acting that way, but not his immediate circle of staff and Cabinet heads. They have no future in that building after January 20. They’ll be too busy looking for other jobs and setting up their Golden Parachutes to be working on acts of sabotage for the incoming administration.

It might still be the most chaotic transition ever, but that will mostly be due to the incompetence of the minions Trump has surrounded himself with. And remember, this isn’t Biden’s first rodeo. He knows the ins and outs of the Executive branch and will make sure things stay on track.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available