Pelosi Calls Stone Commutation ‘An Act Of Staggering Corruption’ | Talking Points Memo

Maybe part of mastery is knowing that things can work even if they’re counterintuitive.

5 Likes

From the article:

Ms. Richards, I appreciate your reporting efforts, but could you please tell us: Under which Constitutional provision or under which Congressional legal standard does a Twitter post qualify as a “formal” chastisement?

7 Likes

Legislation is needed to ensure that no President can pardon or commute the sentence of an individual who is engaged in a cover-up campaign to shield that President from criminal prosecution,” Pelosi wrote.

So let’s survive Covid so we can vote out Trump and the Corrupt Germ-Over-People Party.
VOTEBLUE!

My worst fear is that Trump will issue blanket pardons to himself, family, cronies & BFFs after November if he will lose the election ala Gerald Ford to Nixon (Roger Stone’s idol)!

Meanwhile…pardon power is NOT unlimited

Note that Trump’s pardon power is only for federal crimes!

Meanwhile, at state level, Trump’s tax return case at SDNY is moving along:

8 Likes

Trump unchained. It will get even worse during the lame duck period.

10 Likes

Redirected aggression. Very common behavioral phenomenon in mammals, including us.

Redirected aggression occurs when a cat is aroused by another animal, person or event, but is unable to direct aggression toward the stimulus. For example, your cat is sitting on a windowsill and sees another cat out on the property. Your cat becomes very agitated, begins to focus on the other cat and shows aggressive body postures, hisses, or growls. If a person or animal in the home were to walk into the room, they may be the recipients of an aggressive attack.

17 Likes

“Look at the orators in our republics; as long as they are poor, both state and people can only praise their uprightness; but once they are fattened on the public funds, they conceive a hatred for justice, plan intrigues against the people and attack the democracy.”
― Aristophanes, Plutus

12 Likes

I was planning on doing it anyway, but today is an excellent day for me to start contributing to VP Biden’s campaign.

13 Likes

Pardon is a power from the constitution. Article II, Section 2. (“he shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment”) I’m guessing commutation is derivative from “reprieves”. How can she simply legislate changes to that?

4 Likes

So it really isn’t me? Whew! ‘Cause I get that reaction kind of a lot. Damn cats. I should probably go get one.

11 Likes

Or as Aesop put it:

3 Likes

I haven’t but will. For this election I’d also suggest contributing not just to Biden but to your local Democratic group. They’re the ones who’ll be getting out the vote. Absolutely vital this time. We need to come as close as we can to running the table if we’re going to fix this mess.

30 Likes

Watched Charlize Theron last night in new Netflix SciFi flic The Old Guard.

Char swings a mean double-headed battle-axe in this one.
What Madam Speaker should employ.

2 Likes

It would be all too easy for this SCOTUS to take a “that which isn’t prohibited is allowed” reading of the pardon power in the Constitution, since it doesn’t prohibit self-pardons. So yeah, Trump might get away with it.

IANAL, but it seems to me that any reasonable reading of the intent of the power wouldn’t allow it.

3 Likes

it’s a certain type of person rushing to his or her keyboard at every new GOP outrage to bash

It would be just a shouting match if the outrage was over “every new GOP outrage”. But right now today there are three Republican governors responsible for thousands of preventable tragedies in their states. And they show no remorse or even offer it was their own stupidity and cowardice that resulted in people dying unnecessarily. Where are the Democrats, are they just counting the days to Nov 3rd?? Why can’t they, why won’t they go directly at Abbott, DeSantis and Ducey? The Republican brand has to be crushed.

2 Likes

Having guns is a power from the Constitution too but it’s regulated at every level. Every Constitutional right is regulated in a variety of ways.

6 Likes

Ahead of the decision on Friday, Republican Senator Lindsey Graham (SC) weighed in about Trump’s consideration of clemency for Stone, tweeting his support for commutation, saying “it would be justified” for Trump to intervene, adding that Stone’s offenses were “non-violent” and “the first time.”

By the way, Graham’s race has been moved into the “competitive” bucket. He should be careful.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1281980081972355073?s=21

Remarkable. The non-partisan and quite small-c conservative Inside Elections senate ratings have now moved Lindsey Graham’s race into the competitive category. 12 GOP seats in play. (Graham’s opponent is Jaime Harrison.)

18 Likes

That is why I characterized them as, “Roberts and his merry band of hypocrites.”

“That which is not prohibited is allowed,” is not an originalist reading of the text.

8 Likes

It’s horrifying, all right. A lot of political pundits are opining that trump knows he’s going to lose, so he’s now thrashing about for ways to keep his ass out of prison in January. He’s openly courting a white supremacist base and conspiracy theory wackaloons, ignoring all his advisers and going full wingnut.

9 Likes

“Ahead of the decision on Friday, Republican Senator Lindsey Graham (SC) weighed in about Trump’s consideration of clemency for Stone, tweeting his support for commutation, saying “it would be justified” for Trump to intervene, adding that Stone’s offenses were “non-violent” and “the first time.””

Sure the offenses were “non-violent,” but Stone is still a TRAITOR.

11 Likes

It’s a big boat. Welcome aboard!

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available