Pelosi Calls Stone Commutation ‘An Act Of Staggering Corruption’ | Talking Points Memo

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on Saturday, condemned President Donald Trump’s decision to commute the sentence of his former adviser and longtime friend, Roger Stone, calling it, “an act of staggering corruption.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1320014

I have a vision of Pelosi swinging the gavel and knocking Trump’s head clean off.

44 Likes

Don’t tease me like that.

22 Likes

Trump seems to be entering a phase where he no longer even pretends to care about what anyone thinks of him. His continued decent into madness over the next few month will be frightening, yet quite entertaining. It’s a bit like watching a horror movie play out in real life.

44 Likes

Linseed Graham needs to wipe his lips and his nose to remove Trump’s filth from his face!

6 Likes

39 Likes

Madam Speaker, while you’re considering that kind of legislation for future Presidents (because you won’t get it in this term), you might also consider tacking on a prohibition of sitting Presidents pardoning themselves while in office.

It wouldn’t help Trump with charges from State of NY, but he might be wacko enough to try it as a shield from Federal indictments from a Dem-appointed AG after leaving office.

23 Likes

I’d enjoy seeing the gavel swung slightly lower…

3 Likes

Well it sounds nice, but I think the only kind of legislation that would have an effect would be a constitutional amendment.

26 Likes

I love the backhanded swipe at “staggering”.

Describes Donnie to a T.

Once again, well played, Madam Speaker.

20 Likes

And in today’s WaPo Opinions:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/fascist-dictatorship-trump-second-term/2020/07/10/63fdd938-c166-11ea-b4f6-cb39cd8940fb_story.html

The wheels on the bus . . .

25 Likes

Madame Speaker, I would hold off on the hyperbole until after Trump fully pardons him.

Because that’s coming. Soon.

1 Like

Does orange goo leak out?

ETA: Or does it gush?

3 Likes

At least 15 gushes.

12 Likes

It’s not just corruption, though. Trump’s criminality made him susceptible to straight-up blackmail here. Stone didn’t want to wait until after the election. He insisted on not going to prison at all, and Trump caved, very much against his own interests. It’s like that with Putin, you have to assume, you’re forced to assume, and with God only knows how many others. It’s not Trump taking. It’s Trump getting took.

69 Likes

Nixon committed treason by intervening with North Vietnam and scuttling planned Viet Nam Peace talks before his 1968 election, and resigned in disgrace after engaging in a cover up. Yet even Nixon didn’t pardon/commute any of his co-conspirators because, well, that would’ve been a bridge too far for even a crook. The Opposition campaign ads here write themselves. Maybe Stone and Flynn will go on the road with Dipshit’s campaign. Here’s hoping.

15 Likes

Agreed. The power of the pardon is in the Constitution. IANAL, but it appears to me that the commutation power is derived from the Constitution via the “reprieves and pardons” language.

No one ever considered that someone could gain the Presidency via criminal acts (mostly committed by others) and then use the pardon power of the office to cover his ass.

A self-pardon might be a bridge too far for Roberts and his merry band of hypocrites. I certainly hope it is, but I’m not at all sure it is.

14 Likes

Great image but far from the truth. She was outraged and appalled about ten days ago concerning the Russian bounty on American soldiers. Not too much outrage since. And now “An Act of Staggering Corruption” comment on Stone’s commutation. Schumer’s the one who writes the letters, right? Maybe they could us a little help? Taking umbrage on MSNBC for four minutes doesn’t make me feel encouraged.

Meanwhile, Republican front men and women pound away almost every minute of every day with outrageous bullshit and laughable lies, with Trump throwing more fuel into the dumpster fire.

1 Like

Again, because I’ve said this before, I know this makes a kind of sense to you, but to me it’s a certain type of person rushing to his or her keyboard at every new GOP outrage to bash—wait for it—the Democrats. Somehow, to me, that doesn’t in fact make a lot of sense.

53 Likes

Could it be that the less she says the contrast in style and content in policies becomes amplified? It works for Biden.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available