Ossoff Urges Businesses To Stop Donating To GA GOP Over Voting Restrictions

Sen. Jon Ossoff (D-GA) on Thursday called on major businesses and organizations that oppose Georgia Republicans’ new sweeping restrictions on voting to hit the wallets of those directly responsible for the law.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1367758
1 Like

I used to handle legislative work for a few large corporations and can assure you they all will promise to not give a dime to the GQP, and quietly in 6 months start funneling bribes (oops — I mean donations). Count on it.

34 Likes

The ONLY thing Rethugs understand is money. It’s time to turn off the spigot and dry them up financially.

15 Likes

Sadly, you are only too right.

12 Likes

It already started with those that stopped funding the GQP last year. I forget precisely what the issue was, but yes, it eventually came out that they’d started up again.

Thanks, Citizens United.

19 Likes

Brilliant threading of the needle to point out the injustice and the R hypocrisy at once.

12 Likes

Insurrection is not good PR

8 Likes

Ossoff is a rep to be proud of, and I can read news stories about him on an empty stomach.

17 Likes

Politically, Ossoff can’t say anything but what he did. He does need to publicly advocate for investment in Georgia. Underneath, though, I suspect he’s secretly counting on a sizeable exodus of jobs and industry from his State, simply to make his point about the sanctity of voter’s rights chrystal clear. Personally, that’s what I’m counting on. Nothing against the people of Georgia at all, but the message has to get through to the Legislature and to the Governor that fucking with the vote means bad things for everyone. Business and industry won’t leave Georgia forever, but if they go through the motions in that direction, that will certainly serve as a corrective dose of public humiliation that the Georgia GOP so desperately deserves.

16 Likes

Citizens United…the grift that keeps on giving.x

10 Likes

Ossoff tells GAGQP to Pissoff.

9 Likes

Some Republican will start another PAC with a new name to funnel $$$ to.

5 Likes

Caught a discussion about this yesterday and the feeling was,it shouldn’t just be Georgia,it should be all over the country where these suppression laws are being written and companies donating to GQP party.

And this didn’t take long…

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/were-going-punish-you-laura-ingraham-launches-threatening-tirade-companies-speaking-out

11 Likes

So checking the internet it looks like PACs got going in the 70s. Do PACs ever die, fade away, or can they be reabsorbed into a new PAC?

2 Likes

Stop donating to Republicans.
Now, there…that wasn’t so easy to understand, was it? :face_with_monocle:

7 Likes

I haven’t heard about SAG-Aftra pulling out filming in GA. Many shows & movies have been made there the past 10 years.

3 Likes

A depressing article in Salon about how many GOP state legislatures are trying to gerrymander judicial districts in their states. It’s very obvious that not attending to state legislature elections was catastrophic for the Democrats, seeing how it’s catch-22 trying to win them back. I wish Biden had advanced the voting bill before infrastructure.

And … enough about Gaetz, TPM. There are other things going on that are more important.

10 Likes

“Oh noes, we can’t lose the vital toothless bumpkin’ demo.”

2 Likes

If you threaten to stop the flow of money to the Republican party they will pay attention.

The Republicans hit back with the Georgia house vote, but only because they knew the Georgia senate wouldn’t pass the repeal. Make no mistake, the folks at Delta know their tax break wasn’t in jeopardy. They have real power with the Georgia state government. They also know that their employees are urban and many are minority. Those employees are the people they have to satisfy.

The knee jerk attack on voting to satisfy Trump was a stupid move. Republican politicians are going to regret their war on urban voting.

11 Likes

Thing is, our boycotts are far more effective than theirs. There are a whole lot more of us with money.

9 Likes