One Week In, Ukrainians Hold On To Kyiv, Face Losses In South | Talking Points Memo

I don’t see anyway Putin can win. The US and Europe can finance an insurgency for years.
Russia will be broke in a month.

10 Likes

I’ve been doing a little historical research, so at the risk of other flak, tell me the last time Russia did something like this that wasn’t equally stupid? and without any blowback consequences for them? It always seems to go this way from what I can tell.

That was kind of the point of Biden singling out Intel’s CEO, and talking about $20B to $100B in new semiconductor plants here in the US.

We should never have let the greedy bastards outsource critical technology in the first place, but perhaps now we are bringing it back.

And AMD, Intel’s biggest competitor doesn’t have any fabs, they use TSMC.

8 Likes

Once this shit starts, it’s really a question of limiting losses. For everybody. There is no winning. Only stopping.

8 Likes

Right, which is why for example we pulled the U.S. Army back from significant chunks of territory after the war in Europe was over. Patton’s forces got as far as Plzen, I recall.

It was a bit more complicated than you’re making it out to be. There certainly was some great-power-rivalry stuff going on, but on the whole we still thought we could keep working more or less cooperatively among the Four Powers, until Soviet intransigence became impossible to ignore.

3 Likes

The latest reports are that putin’s committed 90% of the forces he set up for this. And they’re still sitting well shy of the gains they expected, let alone the questions of how a mere 200K soldiers spread out over all that territory will actually be able to hold cities with hundreds of thousands each.

That’s why Zelenskyy just today called for NATO to at least give him some damned planes if we’re not willing to fly them, because there really is a chance here that Ukraine can hold and fight it at least to a stalemate if not actually route the invasion.

14 Likes

Oh good. One day, perhaps very soon, we will be able to seize their assets for giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

11 Likes

O I think that is where this is headed. I think he’ll take Ukraine over but it will never ever be held. It will be one long bleeding insurgency against him until Putin is dead or withdraws anyway, leaving a pretty fucked up mess of a country.

7 Likes

The new Syria.

4 Likes

The Confederacy was not subjected to extractions, yet they continue to act out in their white nationalist drama queen passive aggressive dynamic vis a vis the rest of the United States and have made clear that they do not care about /respect voting rights or election results. They are more disloyal today than at any other time since the Civil War.

8 Likes

Syriasly!

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking. He’s definitely feeling the pressure and looking for a way out. Why else would he call and not wait to be called?

6 Likes

The answer to this question, with “hired” in the sense of “having them in his pay”, is certainly “yes”.

7 Likes

9 Likes

A simple yet elegant solution. (I haven’t lost hope!)

8 Likes

For the record:

Made in the USA microchips: The plan and the crisis in the auto industry (wxyz.com)

Chips were invented in the U.S. But now, only 12% are made here. Of the more sophisticated chips, 0% are made in the USA. Those are made in Taiwan and China.

7 Likes

What are the other four rounds for?

5 Likes

Has this been verified?

1 Like

Yeah the mooks in the Russian military motor pools sold off all of the spare parts months ago.

7 Likes

Last night on MSNBC (and I am sorry I watched the whole bloc of shows and can’t remember who said what to WHOM because they have so many ‘guest hosts’ so I can’t hone in on TIME of show in my mind) a ‘docent’ (reporter/academic/staff member in Obama Admin) explained that Putin ‘lets’ the Oligarchs ‘have’ the money but it’s all HIS money and he can take it back at any time. Take the ‘Aluminum King’ and his part: Putin ‘appointed’ him the head of the company; he runs it. He is fabulously wealthy. But who OWNS the company, ah, Putin.

The Oligarchs, whom various people keep saying should intervene now that all this has gotten serious (has anybody seen the Russian newscaster crying about his seized estates in Italy – HILARIOUS; shit just got REAL), should somehow intervene with Putin don’t understand, HE OWNS EVERYTHING. Every oligarch and his family exist only at Putin’s sufferance.

There was a story here yesterday about Putin calling in various business leaders and telling them they had best keep dealing with all the ‘suspended’ businesses…made no sense. Of ‘course’ they can trade in Russia with other Russians. I did not understand wat the point of the piece was.

5 Likes