One Week In, Ukrainians Hold On To Kyiv, Face Losses In South | Talking Points Memo

So therefore respond with even greater insanity? Bullshit. Your position is roughly equivalent to Russia in spring 2003 and thinking that they must launch an offensive war against the United States to liberate the people of Iraq.

Putin has bitten off way more than he can chew. He’s going to get tons of people killed, but he can’t win this thing. Patience.

17 Likes

‘Patience’. One of the glib-sounding words I offered my daughters when they were concerned Trump might win in 2016.

But I agree with you that sanctions are the way to go for now. The only fly in the ointment, of course, is that Putin does not appear to be thinking logically. I would assume our own armaments are up to the task, should Putin start shooting nuclear weapons to accompany him shooting off his big mouth, and we should be able to knock down anything he launches outside the Russian/Ukraine zone.

I assume.

3 Likes

I don’t think Putin can be swayed. He’s around the bend and this is the hill he means to die on.

15 Likes

Do tell. So another Holocaust is fine because someone might use a nuke and nukes are so bad that they never can be used?

That’s like the absolute antithesis of any amount of morals and morality.

“Never Again!” wasn’t supposed to come with caveats like, “Well, meeeebe, if it might come at a cost to us”.

May as well shutter the doors of the Holocaust museums and memorials, definitely scrub it from textbooks as the alleged lessons learned clearly never were, so it’s just a waste of everyone’s time.

Or we could build semiconductor fabrication labs in the US. There’s no manufacturing process that’s more automated than semiconductor fabrication.

3 Likes

If Russia attacks a NATO country that will start WW3. The US and every other NATO member will respond with conventional weapons and we’ll be at war with Russia, hoping to prevent escalation with nukes. If it escalates you’ll need some 10 million grade sunscreen.

If Russia starts WW3 with an unprovoked strategic nuclear launch aimed at US and European cities, same thing with the sunscreen. But Mutually Assured Destruction has kept that scenario from happening for 45 years. We have to assume the Russians love their children too. (h/t Sting)

10 Likes

Goddamn it it is not a binary choice - nuclear war or another holocaust.

23 Likes

He’s certifiably cuckoo! Therein lies the danger.

1 Like

If he’s not that is indeed what he wants everyone to think.

10 Likes

Putin isn’t nuking anything or anyone (unless we’re stupid enough to start a war over Ukraine, which we’re not) because it would fuck up his vision of Russki Mir. And we have approximately zero ability to take down a single ICBM, much less hundreds.

9 Likes

It’s Putin that had his finger on the button not @the Russians”. If the Russian military had announced 5,000 Russian soldiers had been killed to date instead of 500, do you think that would matter to Putin.
He may really have lost his mind!

6 Likes

He appears to be losing (far too slowly) in Ukraine. That can’t be some sort of master plan. He looks foolish to the entire world, including Russians. Including Russian soldiers, if reports of some battalions surrendering to Ukraine are to be believed.

8 Likes

“Fine” is your word, not mine. I said it would be a horrible choice to make.

Choosing between the destruction of an ethnic group and the destruction of all ethnic groups is not a choice any of us would want to be forced to make. But if forced, I think most people would choose the former and not out of apathy or cowardliness or racial hatred but out of the very real catastrophic consequences of unleashing nuclear war.

3 Likes

Hitler didn’t have nukes and in the end we did. Your analogy is not literal. It’s counterfactual. I think it is called either a red herring or strawman. That is not literally the position I am taking in fearing that the nuclear option would be the worst of all possible alternatives. Also, without even the threat of nuclear holocaust, the USA did very little for the plight of the European Jews. Their plight was never a motive for intervention in itself. It took the Japanese and the Germans themselves, who declared war itself, for that conventional military intervention to happen. Please listen to yourself. Carry on.

6 Likes

Well, plenty of people here seem totally in favor of the Holocaust 2.0 taking place in Ukraine.

The intel has been totally clear that russian plans on capturing the country (seems to not be going quite to plan at that step) involve rounding up people, executing dissidents and sending others to camps.

Oh, and their number one target is Jewish.

And the stated goal is Denazification.

You’ve literally got someone telling you he’s running another holocaust, and people are like, “but he haz nucular weaponz, can’t do anything except sit on our hands”.

Morally repugnant, especially from people that allegedly don’t attend CPAC.

3 Likes

I agree. That does not automatically mean he’s going to set off his nuclear stockpile. He knows what would happen if he did.

5 Likes

Yes, in terms of all the sanctions, but this is still allowing displacement of millions. And, what about Poland having to incorporate so many people?
I agree that Putin won’t win ultimately, but he’s still causing damage to a country and it’s people where things will probably never get fixed in our life times.

3 Likes

I will assume for now that Biden and NATO are fully prepared for that eventuality, and can shoot down anything Putin launches outside Russia/Ukraine.

1 Like

After Ukraine has been razed and its citizens either murdered or ethnically cleansed into bordering NATO countries and its poltical leaders and social activists exterminated and replaced by puppets controlled by Putin, then what? What’s the point? What has been gained? Putin and his oligarchs will still be sanctioned, average Russians will feel the pain of those sanctions, Russia and its occupied lands will be isolated, and any move to invade a NATO country will launch a third world war. It’s insane.

7 Likes

Then Russia will be vaporized in three to four hours.