One Week In, Ukrainians Hold On To Kyiv, Face Losses In South | Talking Points Memo

The problem with the end of WWI is that it was ALL stick, no carrot.

You need to have some enticements for those who quickly show remorse and change.

12 Likes

Yes, except I wouldn’t discount the nursing mothers.

12 Likes

Also one way Putin hides his $100s of billions is to have the oligarchs “hold it” for him in their financial empires.

9 Likes

Ah, the boogieman of nuclear winter resurfaces.

Americans and russians have happily killed each other in third countries for decades without ever dropping a single nuke.

If he gets to say “boo! nucular!” and we’re just going to stand by, may as well pull all our troops out of europe entirely, because why would we change our stance if he decides he’s taking poland next and threatens nukes if we don’t play ball.

And don’t tell me precious NATO and all that. If we’re too scared of his threat of nukes when he’s just taking a non-NATO country, surely that protection of lives and fear of nuclear winter applies doubly in NATO countries.

3 Likes

Oh well, so then it’s okay?

1 Like

You are insane.

15 Likes

If NATO starts WWIII, the first thing China will do is take Taiwan.

“Hey there, Joe. Looks like you’ve got a lot on your plate. We’re guessing you don’t want to fight China along with Russia, so we’ll just take back what we claim as ours and you can keep quiet about it.”

ETA: In case we have forgotten, Taiwan is the largest semiconductor manufacturer in the world.

10 Likes

What if Russia starts WWIII?

2 Likes

No, it’s not fucking okay. That’s why we’re sanctioning the ever-loving hell out of them and fucking up their economic shit. It’s a fine distinction between that and nuclear fucking apocalypse, but do try to grasp it.

20 Likes

No. Y’all should listen to yourselves.

If Hitler had nukes, you’d all be like, “Yo, Jews, sorry, but we just can’t risk nuclear war”.

That’s literally the position you’re taking. Literally.

9 Likes

The situation is insane.

4 Likes

“RT gets ready to… Rumble: After a multitude of platforms have moved to knock out our broadcast and limit social media… You can stay on top of our LIVE broadcast, any time, anywhere right here.” TV distributors in the U.S. and Europe have announced plans to stop airing RT following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the network’s misinformation campaign to justify the aggression. Rumble is a YouTube clonethat has been favored by right-wing users of Parler, and it’s previously received investment from pro-Trump venture capitalists Peter Thiel and J. D. Vance.

23 Likes

When Russian propaganda resorts to blaming their failures on ‘foreigners’, you know they are feeling the heat.

Putin is hell-bent on turning his country into another useless North Korea.

12 Likes

Fuckin’-A right. See also China/Uighurs.

2 Likes

I can’t fault her for wanting it, but she must know that a no-fly zone was never going to happen. She’s effectively asking for the US/NATO to declare war against Russia.

It’s been clear since at least last December that this was not a price the West was willing to pay to save Ukraine, but we would do everything possible to help them in other ways with sanctions and weapon shipments.

17 Likes

WWIII is Russia’s best option. It pulls in China and puts India on a difficult fence. There is nothing but NATO’s self-control standing between us and missile attacks on the West Coast and a strangulation of the global supply of semiconductors - on which our military, government and citizenry rely.

4 Likes

There is nothing worse than 4 dollar a gallon gasoline, a Ford 150 tank holds 26 gallons, that means that you cannot even fill your tank with the 75 dollar limit some cards have. I mean how are people going to display their confederate and blue line flags at those prices? People are going to have make a choice between gas and ammunition, that is a real tragedy !!!

16 Likes

I don’t say we can. I understand the dangers. But I think we need to recognize that it is a moral failure. We have betrayed these people. We did promise them we would defend them when they surrendered their nuclear weapons, and Putin would not be playing the game he’s playing right now if Ukraine still had them.

He couldn’t be playing it.

7 Likes

6 million vs 100 million. Horrible choice to make but the correct choice is obvious.

Zelensky just spoke with a small group of reporters in Kyiv…he is saying he not only wants to talk to Putin, he needs to talk to Putin.

14 Likes