Ohio Republicans Are Pushing Through Gerrymandered Districts

A bipartisan majority on the Ohio Supreme Court has rejected Republican-drawn maps for U.S. congressional districts and state legislative districts a combined four times this year, handing Republicans rejection after rejection on the grounds that their proposed maps are illegally slanted in their own favor. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1410690
1 Like

We know what the corrupted Federal courts will do.

They will once again stack the deck in favor of Republicans.

7 Likes

So the GOP can’t win elections so it must steal them.

25 Likes

So what’s new? The GQP has become the party of crooks and cheats. Nothing really new here.

6 Likes

Yes, the GOP croookery is not new.

2 Likes

Stop the Steal can be a tactic for other political parties, folks.

7 Likes

Putin’s US Domestic Division is faring so much better than the soldiers he used to attack Ukraine. Though they may not technically be russian citizens I believe that every professional republican is deserving of the title “Hero of the Russian Federation”.

Their plan for the destruction of democracy is a masterpiece of deceit and treachery and may well be the subject of graduate level courses in authoritarian nations worldwide.

Special recognition to our corporate media for allowing fascists unlimited access without prejudice against their horrifying and toxic messaging. Pravda would be proud.

16 Likes

This is precisely what Kavanaugh’s opinion was meant to do: “if you do your racist gerrymanders close enough to the elections, you get to keep them.” The SCOTUS needs to be unpacked by any means necessary and people need to start realizing it’s maybe us who need to kick off the violence to defend our democracy.

17 Likes

It’s funny, I swear the SC said that gerrymandering was up to the state, so why are they interfering in state cases where the state supreme court says that the gerrymandering is bad? Could it be that they just meant gerrymandering was fine as long as Republicans came out ahead? Nah, that’s not possible…

I hope the sarcasm is obvious enough. It’s really ludicrous for Republicans to argue that a 10-3 split is appropriate in a state that went 55-45 or so for Trump, especially since they complained bitterly when Democrats gerrymandered Illinois and New York and the nonpartisan commission in CA didn’t give them the seats they wanted. It’s all about power to them, not service to the people…the people should recognize the danger inherent in that, because this crop of Republicans is completely willing to remove the power of the people if they get enough power in the government. The courts used to be the bulwark against that, but forty years of installing right wing judges has weakened that last line of defense.

22 Likes

Chris Cilizza has some competition…good god I fucking hate this twat…he may even blow right past Cilizza into Greenwald territory…

I’ve about had it with “liberals” who think it’s their job to help whitewash Republican talking points by twisting them into some sort of preening attempt to appear high-minded, pretending to be the very smartest liberal there ever was and who knows all the reasons why every single other liberal is wrong, misguided and couldn’t get anything done: those reasons just so happening to be everything the GQP is saying. Yglesias needs a strong dose of go fuck himself.

27 Likes

Democracy dies in judicial corruption.

10 Likes

A basic GOP tactic is ‘If the truth won’t do, lie.’

A corollary is ‘If you can’t win fairly, cheat.’

5 Likes

The J6C needs to #SUBPOENACLARENCETHOMAS

19 Likes

Close

22 Likes

To be fair, you would want her first, thereby establishing everything. THEN you sit Thomas down and grill him on what he knew and when he fucking knew it and why he’s such a fucking traitor.

18 Likes

I’d be willing to bet he knows everything she knows, so let’s get to it.

8 Likes

G = Grifters
O = Oddballs
P = Putinists

7 Likes

the right to marry

Love or hate.

Republicans have chosen their side.

1 Like

I’d like to find this out too   : - )

8 Likes

Quelle Surprise!