NYT: Bolton Told Barr He Was Worried Trump Was Doing Favors For Xi, Erdogan | Talking Points Memo

Former National Security adviser John Bolton last year reportedly expressed his concern to Attorney General Bill Barr that the President was effectively doing favors for the leaders of two foreign countries.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1287375

So even Barr thinks that Trump is crooked, but he continues to carry water for him, because democrats are evil and will take away guns and ban Christianity.

18 Likes

In response, Barr reportedly expressed his own concerns ā€” specifically, that Trump had made it look as if he had an undue influence over independent investigations that affected the two countries in question, China and Turkey.

Whatā€™s this? Barrā€™s turning into Susan Collins right before our very eyes?

Geeā€¦if only the AG had the power to investigate the President for corruption, this could all be cleared up, but, for that, youā€™d need a real AG.

34 Likes

17 Likes

Two observations:

1. By all accounts, Bolton is a meticulous note-keeper, precisely because he wants a contemporaneous record of all his bureaucratic infighting.

2. Bolton is by no means too stupid to recognize that Barr is 100% in the bag for Trump.

33 Likes

The criminality of this administration is mind boggling!

15 Likes

Reading between the lines, looks like the House will subpoena Bolton if the Senate doesnā€™t. Something Mitch should keep in mind.

19 Likes

Bolton needs to be hanged right alongside Billy. Hawking a book instead of serving the country is normal for these stools, but still.

Iā€™ll buy his book, because I heard it makes a great door stop.

As of now, it wonā€™t matter if Bolton testifies, or Collins discovers her inner Themis, Trump and ā€˜Cecilā€™ have problems and those problems are going to get worse.

7 Likes

Ernst: ā€œBolton is a Democrat plant.ā€

16 Likes

Heā€™s going to whip off his moustache for the big reveal

23 Likes

As far as Iā€™m concerned, they can call Trump a ā€œdemocratic plantā€ if thatā€™s what it takes to get him out.

Weā€™ll straighten them out on that later.

16 Likes

Is it wrong that I revel in this drip drip drip that has to be driving the orange dirt bag out of his diminished mind.?Also that Bully Barr has to understand his criminality will eventually be released?
Does it surprise anyone that the dotard has been criming the whole time he and his familyā€™s crime syndicate has been in the WH?
My suspicion, Bolton will make a lot of people sweat.

21 Likes

When Bolton is the possible key to the dethroning of a right-wing nut job from the American Presidency - well, all I can say is that we live in strange times.

41 Likes

Plus think of all the birdcage floors it could cover.

5 Likes

What a day this has been, what a rare mood Iā€™m inā€¦

8 Likes

Just wait. Thatā€™s coming, as soon as he is out of office.

Read this piece carefully. Barr is actually CYAing here, according to Boltonā€™s notes anyway.

Barr IS corrupt as hell, donā€™t mistake me. But from what Iā€™ve seen, building a legal case against him would be extremely difficult at this point.

In this case, he is quite reasonably stating that Trumpā€™s public comments regarding China and Turkey in these two cases, gives a bad appearance. The unspoken part is that as AG, he doesnā€™t believe there is a criminal case to be made, however. And, to bolster that pointā€¦both cases were prosecuted by the DoJ successfully anyway. So not just no criminal case for Trump making public statements, but DoJ acted ā€œindependentlyā€ of the Presidentā€™s public statements.

That ainā€™t a case for corruption against Barr.

9 Likes

And the hits just keep coming!

I donā€™t know how you can be a Republican senator ā€“ not just the vulnerable ones ā€“ and not worry about the untold number of shoes that almost assuredly will fall from the sky.

9 Likes

Stop right there.

14 Likes
39 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available