Not Raising Debt Ceiling Would Hit The Oldest And Poorest Social Security Recipients First: New Analysis

Social Security recipients, seniors and people with disabilities will likely be the first groups directly affected if House Republicans’ hostage taking causes the U.S. to be unable to pay its obligations, according to an analysis by the Bipartisan Policy Center.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1458761

Not Raising Debt Ceiling Would Hit The Oldest And Poorest Social Security Recipients First: New Analysis

A third of the darr family income is Social Security. The rest in my Arizona state pension.
Kev has today to unfuck this up and get the debit limit raised according to the published House calendar

Can ya hear my anger Kev?
Why do you goobers like to shit on people, Kev?

Even if the default comes to pass all members of Congress will get paid even though their office staff will not, nor the military or anyone else paid by the government for anything.
It is fundamentally fucking wrong that members should get paid while others suffer because of the members fucking inability to deal with this months ago when Yellen said it was coming. This is deliberate stupidity and deliberate cruelty inflicted on the defenseless.

At any rate I am first so allow me to add this…

28 Likes

my checks have been deposited 28th of the month, ahead of the month… will let you know if that is part of the after 1 Jun program…

10 Likes

It makes them feel powerful! They are little people who have been losers all their lives, and they finally get to bully people instead of being bullied.

13 Likes

Qevin doesn’t care about anything besides that nice office suite he’s squatting in… except maybe keeping Dumpy and MTG happy.

7 Likes

How, might I ask, do you get your checks a month ahead? Mine arrive as the third payment each month. Not a month ahead. I must be misunderstanding.

4 Likes

It looks like Matt Gaetz is gonna get his wish… no compromise on the debt ceiling

6 Likes

The president is up to something, letting this drama play out, but it’s way above my pay grade. Is he about to break/shatter the MAGA Party, to find 5-6 'pub reps who want to stick around, get reelected?

18 Likes

This debt default provides an exciting trapeze-without-safety-net experience for the old and poor alike! Really pushes people out of their comfort zone.

15 Likes

They might be getting their SS on the 4th Wednesday of the month. My mother’s always came in the 4th week. Mine comes on the 2nd Wednesday.

9 Likes

And it goes without saying that the majority of GQP’ers thinking these people should be out working to earn their payment.

This suits the GQP folks just fine. They view collectors as a bunch of leeches - always remember and never forget that, during COVID, the Texas elected official told the elderly they should just die already.

14 Likes

Oldest + poorest = most likely to need significant medical care, end of life care, round the clock nursing, hospice, etc…i.e., most expensive of the expensive.

GQP KKKULT AND THE OLIGARCHY WANT THEM DEAD ASAP.

This is all and ever about two things:

1. You will work for almost nothing all your life under threat of dying of starvation and exposure because the only alternative is literally nothing, not just almost nothing.

2. You will die ASAP when you become economically obsolete and your useful labor life is over because you have become nothing but a black hole of expense to keep alive any further.

THE OLIGARCHY MUST DIE. I MEAN THAT LITERALLY.

NMNQ.

15 Likes

Even if an agreement between the White House and McCarthy’s negotiating team were to be struck, the process of taking an agreement to a floor vote could take days.

It would take however long the crazy caucus decides it would take. There needs to be much more news coverage (TPM has done better than most) of the Faustian bargain McCarthy made in January.

Because McCarthy was willing to give literally anything to become Speaker, any member of the House can, at any time, put forward a privileged motion to vacate. That blocks whatever else would otherwise be happening in the House while the motion is voted on and it can be repeated ad infinitum

15 Likes

Mainstream media needs to report responsibly on this and point out that this is entirely a Republican tactic - not a plan, a ploy.

This is what happens when your governing elite consist almost exclusively of millionaires. Their comfort and security will not be touched by the financial catastrophe.
Anyone who has advice about how to save my retirement savings is welcome to DM me.

17 Likes

Hahahaha, You do realize that the “journalists” who in an earlier era would have loved to take these motherfuckers apart on this are employed by the very same oligarchs who control the dickheads in congress who are pulling this shit. Those journalists can no more honestly explain what the fuck is going on than they can explain how the corporation that owns the paper doesn’t want you to actually know anything, that it’s all one great big fucking scam where the rich get everything and you get fucked. So, the journalists keep their shitty jobs by publishing the propaganda that keeps everyone in line and the rich at the top of the pyramid. Rinse, repeat, fuck all of us.

6 Likes

It may be time to start publicizing that Rethugliklans will happily house every one of their hostages who are displaced by their epic tomfuckery and publishing their home addresses along with helpful maps.

Talk about a whole new dimension in “constituent services.”

10 Likes

McCarthy: Starve your granny, or we’ll kill your granny.

9 Likes

If this is to be a chronic thing then there’s only one option. Stand fast and let the default happen. It will be the last time it happens.

7 Likes

They do need to do that, ethically, and in terms of their proper role in a reasonably healthy constitutional democracy. But they won’t do it, they haven’t done it, and they haven’t been doing it for a long time. For me this first became obvious in 2002-3, in the parade of lies and bad faith that led to the Iraq war. It’s what drove me away in search of, for example, Talking Points Memo!
If the msm had been reporting responsibly on the GOP for the last couple of decades, we wouldn’t be in the mess we’re in. The national media has been a handmaiden to the birth of the Trumpist GOP.

16 Likes

Some banks seem to disregard the deposit date on the ACH file and credit deposits early.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available