No Big Deal (Except Everything Hangs In The Balance Right Now) | Talking Points Memo

I think I bailed on Sunday school before we really got into Job.

1 Like

Right here where I live.

5 Likes

According to Governor Strangelove Abbott, anyone breaking quorum should

put aside partisan political games and get back to the job they were elected to do.

5 Likes

He believes he can fly…

4 Likes

5 Likes

I found a used book on the sculptures and carvings in Copan and it was fascinating.

1 Like

I read this morning that Texas has hit 4 million Covid cases.

2 Likes

My high school had a humanities class where the philosophy teacher came in one day and did a lecture on it, focused on the the philosophical questions and the historical beliefs of the time period. Notably there was no belief in the afterlife at that time, so a big part of belief was that good works were rewarded and evil actions punished in this life. Which is what Job was trying to get to the heart of. Of course, the ultimate response from God in the book leaves much to be desired in way of providing answers (one of earlier invocations of “I am unknowable, so don’t question me”).

2 Likes

Best I can do is three cats and a dog sharing a bed…

And everybody 'laxing…

4 Likes

6 Likes

That doesn’t surprise me. It seems our current God has gone off the res.

1 Like

Sheeeit …I misspell alla that time. Some mistakes get by my proof reading.

3 Likes

I’ve been watching ducks down at the river.
They do a number of learned behaviors like
mallards waddle up the bank and pick blackberries and
mergansers that pack hunt like killer whales.

3 Likes

I love watching mergansers do their thing. I had a place on a lake in Colorado before I moved down here to Taos and I did a lot of duck watching and goose watching myself. Endlessly fascinating, really.

5 Likes

OT: chewy article by emptywheel covering lots of topics while discussing the indictment of Pound Boy Zach Rehl, held without bail. Starts with Enrique Tarrio’s* calls to stand fast and not flip in a classic prisoner’s dilemma situation**, Rehl’s hassles with his retained counsel (whom he eventually dumped), Rehl’s claim that he was pressured to flip in a meeting the prosecutor arranged without informing his attorney, and then finally, that permit requests for portapottys (potties?) may tie together the persons conspiring to set up the Stop the Steal rally under the guise of other groups’ names. Rehl is attempting to subpoena the paperwork to somehow prove either his innocence or the park service’ knowing complicity. But, I’ve been saying since Jan 7th, follow the money:

Who paid for the travel, lodging, and food for these mooks? Who paid for the “rally” infrastructure, including, yes, the portapotties? https://www.emptywheel.net/2021/09/27/zach-rehls-subpoena-for-port-a-johns-from-the-non-existent-one-nation-under-god/

*remember him? arrested on his way into DC Jan 4th for carrying two (empty) illegally oversized magazines. Was once an informant for the FBI.

**can one do this without committing obstruction of justice?

6 Likes

An anti-masker in line behind me turned to a masked, elderly woman behind her and said, "why are wearing a mask?" She replied, "so I won't catch whatever it is that makes you act that way."

— Emily Mason (@EmilyMason1192) September 27, 2021
15 Likes

I blame being forced to type in a six line high mail slot in the bottom left corner of the screen, with intermittent variable time lags between keystroke and character appearing since the idiotic code sends every fucking keystroke to the web server one by one. If you wanted to set up the goddamned worst possible UI for composing text, that’s pretty much how you would do it.

I would have said "because I graduated elementary school ".

2 Likes

Wait. “Will close on Monday”? Isn’t it Monday already?

So did they cancel school altogether, or end early in order to get kids home prior to protests starting?

I’ve seen the same articlette in several places, but none that updates with facts about what actually happened. Did protesters show up? Did they just congratulate themselves on forcing the schools to accede to their threats? These should be knowable, externally observable events.

2 Likes

“A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volition and are the portals of discovery”
James Joyce

“No mistakes. Just happy accidents”
Bob Ross

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available