Nice Start! Trump’s TRUTH App May Violate Terms Of Open Source Code It’s Built On | Talking Points Memo

When will everyone on the planet finally realize image ?

3 Likes

I haven’t the slightest idea where you’re seeing $300 million.

Raw Story has a story about the investors who loaned (ha, ha, ha, ha) $300m for the new social media site being unaware that it was tied to TFG

9 Likes
40 Likes

…full of hot air (vapours).

1 Like

You’re misreading that story. Trump buddying up with a $300 million SPAC doesn’t even remotely mean that he’s getting $300 million. It just means that the people in charge of the SPAC are maybe buddying up with Trump on this boondoggle, and the wealthy marks who gave them a bunch of their money to play with aren’t all that keen on it.

11 Likes

Pardon me for being naive, but why in hell would anyone need that money just to set up a social media site? Who is getting paid, and for what?

8 Likes

As much as I would like to see Donnie in the jail dumps, I think it would satisfy my karmic sense of justice that all of his enablers get thrown into the hoosegow first. I kind of have a hankering to see Donnie in his bathrobe shambling around one of his soon to be condemned properties looking for someone to do his bidding.

8 Likes

“Trump’s Brand New TRUTH App…”

Fun Fact: The Russian word “PRAVDA” translates to “TRUTH” in English.

28 Likes

OK My Bad.

6 Likes

Maybe we should work on getting a law passed that lets any citizen go after anyone who signs up for the service and thus adds to Trump’s illegal gains gotten in violation of the GPL. I think a 10,000 reward for every proven violation. I guess TX is out, but maybe we can get another state to make the law.

3 Likes

My wife maintains that it is all an investment scam anyway. Probably already successful in that context.

11 Likes

What usually happens in cases of GPL violations is simple sloppiness. In the rush to get the thing done (and it’s always a rush, because those who don’t actually do the work think that any halfway decent programmer can bang it out in a week) they don’t do the minor stuff like getting all the license texts in the right places.

The more interesting GPL violations happen when some third party tries to repackage open source work into a commercial product, or assert ownership of open source work.

But again, I’m not familiar with Mastodon, and it is possible that it is written in such a way that it is impossible to deploy it without modifying the source code. That would be either a very poor design choice, or a deliberate one to force users of it to show their work, in which case it would be a very poor choice of platform for a social media site that will be targetted by many.

8 Likes

Count me out…

Bing, bing, bing!

9 Likes

quote says otherwise:

“Compliance with our AGPLv3 license is very important to me as that is the sole basis upon which I and other developers are willing to give away years of work for free,” Rochko added.

5 Likes

This can be solved with a notice on the bottom of the page, and a few pull requests from the developers.

This is inexcusable. Even Facebook can get it right.

4 Likes

Copyright violation. If the license grantor has registered the software with the U.S. Copyright office, the damages are statutory without the need to demonstrate damages. $100,000 per violation.

7 Likes

A SPAC raised $300 mil from private investors. One of their first “acquisitions” was launching this social media website. Amusingly, some of their investors are less than thrilled with being associated in any way with TFG.

Who is getting paid, and for what?

Given how poorly it launched (previewed version of site had a signup link they forgot to disable), either they way overpaid the developers for what they got, or they cheaped out and got the level of service they deserved.

8 Likes

But the Trump network appears to have taken the publicly available code for the website while violating the terms that make it free to use.

My money is on Trump filing a suit claiming the Open Source community stole his code.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available