Nice Start! Trump’s TRUTH App May Violate Terms Of Open Source Code It’s Built On | Talking Points Memo

Contingent fee, not pro bono.

11 Likes

BREAKING NEWS: Pathological liar and criminal commits another crime. Police have filed this latest outrage under “No shit, what did you expect?”

23 Likes

I believe there have already been about 30 people registering under variants of ‘donaldjtrump’ and ‘mikepence.’ Lots of opportunity for gifted foolishness and amusements.

The creator of the open-source software that TMTG is using is already contacting his lawyer for Trump violations. Let the games begin.

9 Likes

Already happened.

33 Likes

The guy who organized the SPAC (Special Purpose Acquisition Company) used to work for DeutscheBank.

19 Likes

That is extraordinarily unlikely. Zero possibility that this thing has cost even 1% of that figure. Any halfway decent programmer could have taken the open source code and put this up in a week.

16 Likes

And who; didn’t see this coming? hahahahahaha

19 Likes

I’m surprised he didn’t use a Russian version.

5 Likes

BREAKING: The beta version of Trump’s new social media platform “TRUTH Social” is hijacked by Twitter users who nabbed the usernames “donaldtrump” and “mikepence” and the handle “donaldjtrump” before Trump and Pence got the chance to do so. RT IF YOU THINK THAT THIS IS HILARIOUS!

— Occupy Democrats (@OccupyDemocrats) October 21, 2021
42 Likes

How does one calculate damages?

1 Like

11 Likes

Without knowing more, I think you’re right that this could be minor. Either a failure to understand the license or a deliberate attempt to make it look like custom code, and either way it’s easily corrected.

The challenge Trumpworld is going to have in getting this site up isn’t so much the social media site software, it’s the hosting provider and whoever they use for preventing DDoS attacks. That’s where the rubber meets the road, and he may end up with a Russian host like Media Land LLC.

10 Likes

Mastodon founder Eugen Rochko told TPM in an email that TRUTH appeared to violate the terms of use that the software sets forth: making the source code available, and having a copy of the general product license available to users.

I’m not sure he has a case. The license forbids distributing the software without source code and license. But the TRUTH app is deploying Mastodon, not distributing it. The only actionable part might be that the app is sending Mastadon javascript code (which is its own source) to users’ browsers without also sending a copy of (or at least a link to) the license.

Edit: I take that back; it’s a bit more complicated than what I stated. Mastodon provides network infrastructure for social networking that is used by every Mastodon application, with terms of use imposed on all apps that use the infrastructure. The violation in question is not against the AGPL license, but against the terms of use agreement required of participating apps.

Edit2: Or not. Rochko’s quoted communication to TPM mentions “terms of use” but lists only license issues.

5 Likes

Most likely, nuisance value. Like, pay us a million dollars and make your code open source or we will shut this bullshit down. On the merits, it would probably be (a) cost of a license for a similar program that isn’t open-sourced, or (b) reasonable value of the time and effort the developers put into the software.

12 Likes

I don’t know how to do it myself but I hope someone here will appropriate the Donald J Trump Junior ID and it variants quickly.

Eric’s ? Meh…….

6 Likes

TFG is a paper bag…

8 Likes

So that $300m is TFG’s cut? Got it.

6 Likes

“Rules are for others.”

Donald Trump

7 Likes

I saw on twitter the donaldjtrump page had a picture of a pig shitting on its own testicles.

I bet they saved that picture for something special.

15 Likes

hahahahahahahahahahaha

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available