Nice Start! Trump’s TRUTH App May Violate Terms Of Open Source Code It’s Built On | Talking Points Memo

The new social network founded by former President Trump may violate the terms of use of the software on which it is based.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391636
1 Like

"Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!" (h/t to Gomer Pyle)

32 Likes

Is that true? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

14 Likes

TFG could not punch his way out of a paper bag.

15 Likes

Rules of Open Source code, like copyright rules, do not apply to Your President, Donald Trump.
I thought every Right-Thinking American Patriot knew that!

27 Likes

Trump silenced? He hasn’t gone away. He is a clown.

8 Likes

Injunction coming before Thanksgiving.

40 Likes

No, it’s “Your favorite American President”. Trump wants you to get it right.

9 Likes

Not my favorite American President

12 Likes

OMG Whop Whop…can’t believe he actually paid
Texas Lt. Gov. Cuts First $25,000 Check For Voter Fraud Case - A Republican Caught In Pennsylvania | Crooks and Liars

Patrick’s five-figure payout went to a progressive poll worker in Pennsylvania

Patrick paid a liberal for turning in a republican voter fraudster… OH MY GAWD!

57 Likes

Like everything else Republicans have ever claimed to create, it’s made by and stolen from leftists.

26 Likes

Demonstrating once again that there is a slimy and underhanded aspect to everything this fraud does.

25 Likes

The entire party uses an artist’s music against the artist’s wishes, not sure why they see this as any different.

32 Likes

If you zoom into the photo of the tipster with the check, you see that the check is from “Texans for Dan Patrick”. So, paid from a PAC or campaign fund, not out of his own pocket. But still, dude got paid.

30 Likes

“I do intend to seek legal counsel on the situation though,” Rochko told TPM, while declining to discuss any specific legal action he may be contemplating.

Somehow I think he’ll be able find a better quality of pro bono attorney to pursue this than will the defendant.

19 Likes

I’m of two minds here. On one hand, I’d love to see this venture quashed before it begins. On the other, hand, I’d love to see this venture launch and fail miserably in a chaotic, hacked into oblivion mess by Anonymous and teenagers from Tik-Tok in a counter-offensive of epic scale. The Cyber-Ninjas won’t be able to keep up with Trolls from AntiFa…

46 Likes

Realize Trump doesn’t have a single clue about source code and\or rights management. This falls on the head of whoever promoted the “app” to him. It means they are either clueless or brazen. I would go with brazen. If Trump is aware it is in violation, it is only because he is sanctioning someone else’s infringement. For him, it is a just get it done decision and the details are left to the technical people.

29 Likes

The founder of the codebase won’t have any trouble getting donations for legal expenses. Open Source nerds are very protective of the concept and some are wealthy.

32 Likes

And someone was willing to front $300,000,000 for this mess? Must be named Putin or something. :grin:

21 Likes

I’m sure they don’t, but the very real difference is that the artist sold the license to use his/her work to a third party and can no longer enforce limitations on its use. In this case the software creator released his work under a very specific license (aGPLv3) and retains the right to enforce it.

But it may just be a minor kerfluffle which can be resolved by adding a link to the license and a link to the Mastodon source code. I say “may”, because I don’t know whether Mastodon can be used without modifying its source code.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available