Newsom Takes Significant Stab At Reining In Social Media Disinfo, Prompting Ire From Musk

Originally published at: Newsom Takes Significant Stab At Reining In Social Media Disinfo, Prompting Ire From Musk - TPM – Talking Points Memo

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) signed three artificial intelligence bills into law on Tuesday in an attempt to require social media companies to moderate the spread of disinfo and deepfakes — deceptive images, videos or audio clips resembling actual people — during elections.  The trio, including a first-of-its-kind-law, largely aims to ban, remove or label…

I’m very tired of Elmo’s “1st Amendment” complaints.

He’s the first guy to block someone from X if they complain about him.

And a “cat.” California Mountain Lion.

39 Likes

This is needed legislatation and I don’t get the first amendment complaint. Fraud should not be protected by freedom of speech and that is exactly what deep fakes are, deception intended to secure a change in a voter’s behavior. Wait until the laws come out about deep fakes in advertizing.

39 Likes

And lookey here – Scientific American endorses Kamala Harris for President.

Donald will be crushed to see this news. He should feel better if he stays home and golfs.

28 Likes

Looking forward to John Roberts telling us that the Supreme Court gets to tell us on a case by case basis when an election related deep fake is speech and when it is not.

28 Likes

Go Gavin!

Quell the Muskosis!

5 Likes

Love what he’s doing here. Congress is so slow that they don’t address the complex tech problems for the future. It allows the Musks of the world to take advantage of the gaps while funding lobbyists to create loopholes.
Look at multi-factor authentication, I don’t know if it gets so widely adopted without CA passing CCPA

11 Likes

If you just draw a trend line in the Roberts Court’s rulings, you get a pretty much linear extrapolation, or asymptote, that if you extend it not so very far, comes to the endpoint of “is this good for me and the ‘conservatives’ on the Court with me? Does this serve interests that will leave me feeling pleased?”

In O’Keefe & Nadel terms, this is not an allocentric map of the world the Supreme Court Six are working with; it’s an egocentric one.

And all roads of thought lead to “what are my whims & what makes me feel most royal?”

I figure Roberts will love Musk & the rest of their malicious lies and defamations and deep fakes exactly right up until they start doing the worst kind of things with his own image and his own physical environs.

I think the situation over at that place is that primitive.

17 Likes

When I first heard of ‘deepfakes’, my mind immediately went to this Star Trek (original series) episode. Well done, CA!!

5 Likes

It’s very important to distinguish between true parody, meant to entertain, provoke, and enlighten, from disinformation that is intended to do the opposite. Take it from a, er, professional.

10 Likes

Fraud doesn’t get first amendment protection.

15 Likes

Elmo Musk is from South Africa
I wonder if in the mass deportations trump envisions Elmo would be sent back to make friends with this guy…

7 Likes
19 Likes

100%

There is no legitimate political message that requires the use of AI to craft. There are only two groups who are eager to use AI for politics:

• liars who want to fabricate high-quality fakes
  • lazy individuals who feel compelled to see their fanfic made real

Neither group’s desires are more compelling than the public’s need to have candid political discussions.

Also, LLMs are going to melt the planet. Making one image consumes as much energy as filling a smartphone battery to full.

18 Likes

Trick is to just let them use the AI and fake voices, images, etc., but require them to identify it as parody. When you witness parody anywhere else, you know it’s parody. That’s kinda part of the fucking point of parody. Nobody believes Dana Carvey was actually Ross Perot or that the fake Trump guy who actually got a brief comedy show was actually Trump. It ceases to be parody when it’s not recognizable as parody and made to be such a real approximation as to generate confusion instead. So make it as “real” as you want, but you have to prominently tag it…or, potentially, it should be subject to identity theft and defamation laws, etc.

15 Likes

There was a great comment on this post that perfectly sums up TFG-“I like to imagine slightly off camera they had a volcano with baking soda and vinegar they just finished showing him.”

10 Likes

Holy smoke. Good recollection there!
Maybe you are ready to take on Trump at 3-dimensional chess.
Think of the power of that.
Whoa now.

Trump would get a migraine figuring out one dimensional chess

3 Likes

Listen, THC is in the world with us. Suck in. Hold. Now think – with theorems and cross-products and determinants rushing in: *diMENSion . . . *

Critics of Newsom are always saying that he’s just polishing up his progressive cred in prep for his run at the WH. It never seems to occur to them that maybe he’s governing. Because the treason party doesn’t do that, and it doesn’t make sense to them to do anything that benefits everyone.

Like Jerry Brown before him, Gavin gets up some days with the intent of making life better for this state. What a fucking unusual idea, right?

11 Likes