New York’s Redistricting Chaos Changed Santos’ Future

As the political world puzzles over how George Santos and his resume of lies slipped through a whole election largely undetected, the race itself holds some answers. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1446287

Bartenders. We need a drink to celebrate this disaster. Any suggestions? I’m thinking “Thank You For Your Cervas” or just plain “Cervas With A Twist”.

6 Likes

So forgive me if this has come up before, but I am beginning to suspect that Mr. Santos did not want to win. He found in the 2020 midterms that he could funnel money to his sister and friendly “consultants”. Running as a Republican in a very Democratic-leaning district is a convenient way to both grift and launder money.

21 Likes

This explains why the repubs didn’t question this nut’s bonifides. However it doesn’t explain the failed oppo research.

7 Likes

Cervas to Err missile

8 Likes

How do these people make these moves into areas they obviously have no experience with? I guess playing by the rules is something people don’t do anymore.

8 Likes

I don’t know why the NYT chose to highlight this man’s former job, but lot of people (a whole lot of people) have bartended sometime in their lives while pursuing education or opportunities in other fields. I knew a medical student, now doctor, who bartended.

12 Likes

I had a friend who is a teacher now and she tended bar but that was 30 years ago. The Times article makes it look like he went from schlepping drinks in Vegas to New York kingmaker in one day.

11 Likes

Heck, AOC tended bar before winning her primary.

18 Likes

He concluded his rant: “The district was a R district with the master’s first draft. Now it’s a D district.”

:rofl:

2 Likes

7 Likes

He likely wanted to win. It’s just that he didn’t think that he had a chance in getting over.

This is howeva America and like 2016 proved (wind aided or not)…

8 Likes

So Santos is the political equivalent of Springtime for Hitler?

Leo Bloom: What is it?

Max Bialystock: What is it! We’ve struck gold. Not fool’s gold, but real gold! The Mother Lode. The Mother of them all! Kiss it, kiss it!

[Leo does]

Leo Bloom: You found a flop?

Max Bialystock: A flop! That’s putting it mildly. We’ve found a disaster, a catastrophe, an outrage! A guaranteed-to-close-in-one-night beauty. This is freedom from want forever. This is a house in the country. This is a Rolls Royce and a Bentley. This is wine, women, and song… and women.

Leo Bloom: Let’s see it.

[reading]

Leo Bloom: … ‘Springtime For Hitler: A Gay Romp With Adolf and Eva at Berchtesgaden.’ Wow…!

Max Bialystock: Wow! It’s practically a love-letter to Hitler!

Leo Bloom: This won’t run an WEEK!

Max Bialystock: A week! Are you kidding? This has got to close on page four!

12 Likes

Eff it, same goes 4 smeg (Trump). He actually had to think about whether he was taking a L in '16.

3 Likes

Never underestimate the knowledge and education of a bartender. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Herding drunks, sob stories, people on the make, fights, and crazy rants can’t faze a bartender. That was good preparation for her new job.

13 Likes

7 Likes

He thought he was going to lose in '16.

McConnell n Ryan thought their cohort was losing in '16 (McConnell admitted it).

However, ’ :us: '.

5 Likes

This district is not just “Italian Irish friendly community” I collapsed in laughter at that neat “prose” Cops fireman Military vets all bought and paid for Republican voters . For generations.! It’s the family business.They got their benefits their lifetime Health care and Pensions retire after 20 years get jobs start collecting lol you think they care about anyone’s benefits but their own? Largely not college degreed perfect for Trump hate sprinkle that with a dash of anti semantic and racist your good to go. No one no reporter has dared to suggest this truth any New Yorker knows. Just read their social Media hate posts The stupid it burns

3 Likes

“They split the largest Italian/Irish community on Long Island in half!” he added. “That’s insane, they’ve always been in the same district because of their community values and ties. Same with south bronx, no one is splitting the south bronx up. I’m tired of people saying ‘white man bad.’”

I’m shocked that someone who led multiple successful slave rebellions around the world would say something like that.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available