New York’s Redistricting Chaos Changed Santos’ Future

If these legislators had gotten their way, Santos likely would have lost his election despite the staggering underperformance of Democratic House candidates in the state. The Democrats’ map, which New York Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) signed into law, gave the 3rd Congressional District a 10-point Democratic advantage, per FiveThirtyEight’s calculation.

The maps were finalized the same day Santos expressed his displeasure on Twitter: May 21, 2022. Early voting began August 13, less than three months later. That’s not much time for a new candidate to seek her party’s nomination (to cut in half the signature requirements), collect the signatures, raise money, advertise and, ultimately, stand up a whole campaign.

Can’t be understated - the NY Courts boneheaded decision to redo the redistricting map less than 12 months before the election, rather than let it go into effect and fix it afterwards like the Ohio Courts did, directly led to the chaos that got Santos elected.

Campaigns don’t pop up overnight, so its no surprise that Democrats and potential Republican challengers couldn’t pull everything together in such a short time.

4 Likes

“Faze.”

5 Likes

Argh! Fixed it. Thanks.

2 Likes

The Producers. But really I think he saw that there were plenty of grift opportunities either way it went.

1 Like

I’m not sure where it failed - they had plenty on him, the media just wasn’t much interested in taking it (except that one Long Island paper). I mean, how much more do you need to look when just scratching the surface brought up more than would have sunk your opponent in any reasonable time?

4 Likes

George Santos… or Anthony Devolder… liar extraordinaire.

Lied about his name
Lied concerning his parents
Lied about his back ground
Lied about his education
Lied about his own mother.
Lied about his birth place and citizen status.

Why should I believe anything he says or anything about him. None of it is trust worthy. There is no substance here. It’s like he is a wraith blowing in the wind,

Those who voted for this peson should be ashamed of their vote for him

1 Like

New Maps, New Odds

“And new LIES.”

1 Like

And according to reports in his district, many are.

1 Like

You are leaving out that in the original map the Democrats had an experienced, electable candidate lined up. That went south once the maps were redrawn … also most other D Gov candidates withdrew after Cuomo resigned, but not Suozzi. He would have had a good chance to be re-elected.

2 Likes

Exactly.

You are most forgiven. There was talk that this was straight out of “The Producers” in that you could make a lot of money on a losing campaign, and afterwards, no one is going to look carefully at where the money went…because you lost.

This article only strengthens that theory. Santos increased his wealth after the 2020 campaign. His mistake was to go to the same grift twice.

I’m eating popcorn and happy to watch the show. Santos isn’t the only Republican who will self-destruct. I think it will be less than a year before Hakeem Jeffries is Speaker.

Oppo against a generic Republican. No indication that they did any serious investigation of Santos . They even took believed the Santos fable about working as an investment banker. What was the Democratic candidate Bob Zimmerman doing? The answer is blowing in the wind.

1 Like

1 Like

NY-3 was a Dem leaning district before redistricting. now it is 50-50.

Cook has it D+2, though I’ll agree that is statistically neutral.

1 Like

D+2 is basically purple.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available