Mueller On Stone’s Commutation | Talking Points Memo

I can’t tell from this vantage point how history will view Mueller’s role in all of this, but it isn’t gonna be strongly positive, as in ‘he called it as he saw it and it changed the tide’.

Sadly, it changed nothing and emboldened Trump and here we are today.

17 Likes

Better a year late with that stick in trump’s eye, Mueller, than never.
Woulda been more effective when Barr bad mouthed you.

26 Likes

As much faith as we put in Mueller, he let us down. tRump committed Obstruction of Justice and I think he could have made a good case for it but he kinda wanted to straddle the fence. Yes, I know the senate would have not voted to convict but still the record would have shown more of the truth. but, we have seen in this alternative reality truth telling is rewarded with punishment.

17 Likes

The bigger question is…will Kim Kardashian pass her bar exam in time to be our new AG?
Will Kris Jenner replace Wilbur Ross or Steve Mnuchin?

8 Likes

5 Likes

He’s anything but an underachiever, in nearly everything he did prior to taking on this role, which is what made his work here all the more perplexing and remarkable. Either he deferred to RW power, because it was RW power (i.e. his team, however vile its current leader, but loyalty is loyalty), or his hands were tied in ways we still don’t understand, or he’s got some kind of long game thing going on here.

5 Likes

Like I said above, wanna bet it’s a book in eighteen months?

1 Like

“He remains a convicted felon, and rightly so.”

That will remain true up until trump pardons him after the election.

6 Likes

Mueller’s OpEd in Wapo:

…But I feel compelled to respond both to broad claims that our investigation was illegitimate and our motives were improper, and to specific claims that Roger Stone was a victim of our office. The Russia investigation was of paramount importance. Stone was prosecuted and convicted because he committed federal crimes. He remains a convicted felon, and rightly so.

ICYMI:

Buzzfeed had to FOIA to get some unredacted portions of the Mueller Report to discover that Stone had Informed Trump:

…in advance that WikiLeaks would be releasing documents embarrassing to the Clinton campaign and subsequently informed advisers that he expected more releases would be coming,

All told…
= Trump KNEW and Trump LIED BIGLY in his written response
= Trump Admin is a Criminal Enterprise
= Trump Obstructed Justice AGAIN

While Trump is inviting another impeachment
I’m waiting for RICO!

16 Likes

Mueller had 10 cases of obstruction that were absolutely rock solid slam dunk. Two more were pretty good.
He put up the cases and evidence and was ignored but then said zip. The whole thing is curdled milquetoast to ruin an old expression. I have his 2 volume report as a pdf. It made for really hopeful reading at the time.

21 Likes

With a pardon Stone can be compelled to talk to Congress with no 5th amendment protections. He likely would lie again.

6 Likes

Well thanks Bob but if you did your job in the first place things would have been different. We had to wait two years for your non-decision making. And all those super lawyers working with you, giving up their careers, what do you say to them?

14 Likes

Robert Mueller is the carrion vulture in the coal mine of American justice. The morbidly obese female vocalist has delivered her last aria.

9 Likes

I was being mildly hperbolic about his role and apparent acquiescence in the Trump-Russia scandal and nothing else. But perhaps that’s my fault. I, like many others expected to see a first rate movie and the projector broke down after the first reel. Much was expected and other than a handful of notable indictments, not much was delivered. That’s what I call underachievment.

24 Likes

Muller was and still is up against the Three Horses Asses of the Apocalypse. Barr the single and unquestioned authority of DOJ; McConnell who allows only his particular Republican flavored lobbyist legislation in the Senate; and Roberts who accepts appeals at SCOTUS until the GOP get the results they were seeking. Muller can say what many know to be true with no effect against the Urinary Executive.

15 Likes

If Biden wins let’s hope Congress and the new AG are in a vindictive mood toward trump and all his minions.

17 Likes

Was reading this theory on Twitter yesterday about how Andy McCabe never trusted Rod Rosenstein to do the right thing since he signed on to Comey’s firing, so he had Peter Strzok, Lisa Page and Priestoff(?) “bubble wrap” the CI Investigation he initiated against Trump. The idea being to let Trump chase after Mueller while the FBI did the CI investigation under the radar, so to speak.

ETA Found it https://twitter.com/BlazerLegacy/status/1281027108366663681

3 Likes

…and we should care because??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

You are being way too kind. He is a coward and a sellout. He did his best to protect Trump and his family, knowing very well the kind crook he was.

3 Likes

I’m not interested in relitigating Mueller’s performance for the whatevereth time. I did think at the time a lot of folks felt he was the gallant knight riding out to slay the dragon, when I’m pretty sure he thought his job was to investigate certain matters and see what he found. We assumed, many of us, that all sorts of lurid evidence was lying around waiting to be picked up off the ground in a kind of judicial gold rush that nobody could ignore. Maybe it really wasn’t quite as obvious as that. My guess is what’s different with this op-ed is that it’s Mueller talking about a thing he knows to be provably true. And he’s telling Trump to go fuck himself.

36 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available