Morning Memo: Voting Rights Finally Gets Its Day In The Senate | Talking Points Memo

She knows what she’d doing. It’s not that she doesn’t understand. She does understand and (for probably depressing reasons) she wants something other than what we want.

2 Likes

Blame it on Sleepy Joe. He’s not giving the media any scandals to work with.

It’s summer in D.C., 90+ and muggy as hell, there’s not much to work with there absent a tweeter-in-chief starting conflict with allies and cozying up to dictators.

9 Likes

Don’t know yet who’s gonna run in the primaries but Sinema was elected in 2018 succeeding Jeff Flake. So 2024 will be your (and my) earliest chance for replacement. She is in Senate class 1, meaning her third of the Senate. So one third are elected every second year to 6 year terms. I know you know this. I put it up for others to ponder. But the midterms are an election for Mark Kelly as he replaced John McCain and is finishing out his term
7 Likes

But it would be, and would place some folks in very awkward and tough positions. Virginia, for example, has a hard-fought two Democratic Senate seats. Any legislation that would ban AR-15s would have both the far-left and the right gunning for them, any support of that legislation would flip both seats as they come open, stuff like that.

Just saying that we should keep an open view that, although there may be a singular piece of legislation in front of us as the immediate catalyst, there’re likely all sorts of other political calculations going on behind the scenes that make this more complicated than a simple “manchin is an asshole” thing (although he is).

3 Likes

Josh:

[“Today is the day for voting rights legislation, or H1/S1. But we remain in a kind of play-acting drama. Kirsten Sinema remains steadfast in her opposition to ending the filibuster, a position she reaffirmed last night. But she’s a preening clown. More interesting, befuddling, bizarre is the stance of Joe Manchin”]

Page 1, Top Left, emphasis mine

Refer to my last post

But they whip beforehand and will know they don’t have 50 so it shouldn’t even come up.

Having the speakership and senate maj makes it very unlikely. Pelosi and Chuck know where the 3rd rails are.

3 Likes

This is a Manchin quote from a New Yorker article. Not a lot of daylight between him and Sinema.

• In his office, I told him that much of Washington was asking a version of the same question: What does Joe Manchin really want? He flashed an irritated smile. “Can you believe that? It’s like I came here to hold people hostage,” he said. He repeated the question back to me. “ What does Joe Manchin want ? Son of a bitch—they think that they can spend a billion dollars or a hundred million dollars and that’ll take care of making it right?” He went on, “They want me to change. To agree . I say, No, I’m not going to change.”*
1 Like

Which is true, however, removing the filibuster would put a lot more pressure on them to hit the magic 50. Very little pressure right now when everyone knows that you aren’t getting 10 republicans to support a resolution acknowledging the time of day.

5 Likes

Great power, great responsibility, Spiderman.

6 Likes

I’m still going to stand by that Sinema doesn’t understand that you can’t go back, and that McConnell is not an honest broker. McConnell may not have broken the filibuster, the norms that the US Senate conducts business, but he has created so many stress fractures that the whole thing weakened. And can we as a country survive it Mitch gets another chance to take his sledgehammer to the filibuster?

7 Likes

From this day forth I shall be boycotting CBS news.

I listen to WBBM news, run and owned by CBS, on the radio commuting to and from work. The station at the top of each hour gives a rundown of the national news direct from CBS. For the last two days every hour it has covered the Senate voting on the filibuster and its coverage consists of Moscow Mitch McConnell giving a 20 second lie filled comment. No other discussion other than Moscow Mitch.

CBS news knows what it is doing. That is everyone who listens to CBS and WBBM for their news only gets Moscow Mitch and again, CBS knows what it is doing.

5 Likes

Couldn’t Hillary settle accounts with someone, again?
It might not be big news in the MSM, but it’ll keep Wingnutistan busy for years.
And if the GQP takes a house of Congress next year, the hearings could never end.

3 Likes

Was 43 degrees this morning and 46 degrees yesterday morning. High in the 60s yesterday, 78 for today. My boiler was on last night for a couple times.
Contrasted with a record string of 90 degrees days here in early June.

But at least we didn’t have high humidity when we had the heat, it was dry.
Long term forecast for July looks cooler than normal. No 90s in sight. Not that the long term forecasts are always accurate though. But last year, we had our warmest days in June also followed by a cooler than normal July.

4 Likes

So he’s angry that no one knows what the fuck he wants. And yes Joe you are holding people hostage, and those people are in other states.

6 Likes

I saw a piece in Raw Story that Kim Jong Un’s sister is trying to stir the pot again. It appears no one is listening. After the swooning from TFG, that must hurt.

4 Likes

:grinning: :smiley: :smile: :grin: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

14 Likes

I was going to give the MO weather report too. After Sunday’s rains the temps dropped from the 90s into the low 80s. Last night I opened some windows upstairs, and had to pull the blankets up for the first time in a month.

5 Likes

Not surprising. Bro has been dead for more than a year, even his body double has lost a lot of weight, she’s gotta be planning the next step to shifting the public to be ready for a female boss.

5 Likes

There’s always trans.

1 Like

I’m rather surprised that Ghislaine hasn’t been Epstein’d yet. Guess they just keep too many guards on her to make it work this time around.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available