Morning Memo: Voting Rights Finally Gets Its Day In The Senate | Talking Points Memo

A lot of things happened. Here are some of them.

The long-awaited moment is here: The Senate will vote on whether to proceed with Democrats’ sweeping voting rights bill, the For The People Act/S. 1, this evening. While Republicans have vowed to block it, and will, today’s vote will test whether all 50 Senate Democrats are unified in taking this preliminary step. Without 50 Democrats now, there’s no chance of blowing up the filibuster later.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1378483

So who’s the Democrat to run against Sinema?
Where do I donate?

Will Calamari sleep with the fishes?

12 Likes

I’m looking forward to the day when Sinema is in the rear view mirror growing smaller, smaller, smaller as the future leaves her on an Arizona street corner

9 Likes

So who’s the Democrat to run against Sinema?

You’ll have to wait to find out. She’s got 4 years to go.

5 Likes

In case you still had any doubts, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), who co-sponsored S.1, very much stands by her refusal to blow up the filibuster. She made exactly that point in a new Washington Post op-ed last night.

Get Mark Kelly on record.

Not one of his spokesmen, Kelly. After that’s done, move to the next holdout.

8 Likes

She’s up in '24 and Kelly is up in '22.

3 Likes

My support for retaining the 60-vote threshold is not based on the importance of any particular policy. It is based on what is best for our democracy

Ah yes the time honored DECADE old tradition.

9 Likes
3 Likes

Don’t need him on record, just need him to stuff Sinema and Manchin on the next SpaceX launch

5 Likes

Agreed, but never too soon to start greasing the skids towards her Senate exit.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m missing something but this ‘vote’ to give voice to allowing for Senate discussion of HR 1 does what aside from moving forward with debate? I can’t see the two Manchin or Sinema not voting with Dems. Just seems inconsequential. A “yes” vote to debate does not mean a “yes” vote on passage of anything. I’m guessing this is all Schumer has at this moment.

5 Likes

I don’t worry about Manchin flipping but I won’t be surprised if Sinema did. She’d love the publicity and outrage.

6 Likes

Mark Kelly is a holdout?

I said Kelly, because of this:

Get him, Feinstein and any other fence sitter on record about this.

11 Likes

I think she will get in line if Manchin does. It’s all on Manchin. I don’t get it. He sees what the red state legislators are up to, right?

2 Likes

He won’t give a straight answer (yea or nay). One of the reasons why he’s not getting mentioned a lot, is because of his cohorts.

6 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like Sinema is becoming more and more of a DINO then an actual Democrat. Hopefully, Manchin can keep her in line, provided Schumer can keep Manchin in line.

4 Likes

I think you may be right. If you read her entire statement on why she supports the filibuster it’s so contrived and internally conflicted it cannot be what’s really motivating her. I suspect she’s a of a low intellect egoist like Trump and the entire mess boils down to her need for attention.

From what I’ve read on both Manchin and Sinema neither come across as high end thinkers and both see themselves as able to fix something but refuse to pick up the necessary tools. A lot like Trump.

It’s unfortunate that America will reward the GOP fucking the shit out of them with Senate and likely House majorities net year. At that point…2022 to 2024 both Manchin and Sinerma will be irrelevant and impotent. The Democratic Party will have nothing to lose in punishing them and driving them out. That’s the time to set upon them.

6 Likes

Padre or figlio? Both work at the Trump Org.
You know there’s another name from the Trump Org that we haven’t heard being bandied about, Keith Schiller. Former NYPD, Trump body guard, and head of Trump Org security. There has to be tales he could tell.

6 Likes

Manchin can keep her in line, provided Schumer can keep Manchin in line.

Dictatorships are so less complicated.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available