Morning Memo: Voting Rights Finally Gets Its Day In The Senate | Talking Points Memo

Kelly is also a gun-rights guy. Can see him not wanting to kill the filibuster for different reasons, supporting this legislation but trying to keep the Dems from committing political suicide with rather less straightforward legislation.

5 Likes

It does move the discussion forward. It is during debate that the various proposals/amendments get discussed and voted on. Without that, you can’t even get started. So if the goal is to negotiate with the Repubs to get to something that is acceptable to both parties, then you need to debate. If the objective is to kill it, then no cloture vote - Mitch and his colleagues will tell us clearly if they want to negotiate or just dig their heels in the sand. I think most of us already know the outcome, as does Schumer, but Manchin apparently still needs the lesson since he hasn’t gotten it yet.

7 Likes

OT but I need to vent about this.

I have noticed a distinct scaling back of daily articles on TPM lately, and I’m worried that this post by Josh Marshall signals a radical change to the TPM publishing model: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-era-of-newsletters

Josh promised us that all the subscription money would allow him to publish more original journalism. Instead I see him pushing news-aggregating daily newsletters, exemplified by this very article.

I stuck through everyone howling about the more restrictive paywall structure, but if this is the future of TPM I question what value I get from my Prime AF membership.

11 Likes

TPM has articles?

Most of us just come for the snark, and stay for the puns and the Jewish Space Lasers.

13 Likes

That seems to make the most sense - small steps.

2 Likes

There’s already a service for that, can’t quite remember the name, but it’s related to birds chirping.

4 Likes

Careful The exact same thing was said of the Massachusetts senate race after Kennedy died…How did that work out???

• There are eight Democratic primary candidates jockeying for the title, and similar the mayoral race, whoever wins this primary is effectively ensured to win the general election in November.
2 Likes

Sinema is getting yelled at in the WaPo comments. And the most frequent rant is that she is too dumb to have not thought about McConnell ending it when he’s back in power. In her Op-Ed she points out that the Dems won’t always be in charge. Apparently not paying attention to what is happening in the AZ legislature, and other Republican controlled state legislatures around the country.
While the Dems were trying to make it easier to vote, for the states to have more consistent rules, the Republicans have gerrymandering down cold, and thus moved on to who can count the votes, and what the results will be. She and Manchin are speaking of bipartisanship while Republicans in the states are moving on to not only who can vote, the methods of voting, but have reached the point where they, and they alone will determine election results and votes totals be damned.

21 Likes

But if it makes Trump feel any better, it doesn’t seem like the prosecutors have found much success in trying to get Weisselberg to flip. The CFO still shows up for work at Trump Tower as normal

If he had flipped, would he immediately notify his employer? I mean, the day he is fired is the day he loses his condo and his car, per the alleged under the table compensation.

11 Likes

Well after the Scott Brown is a sexy hunk tour we got Elizabeth Warren, so the long game worked out OK.

5 Likes

Snark aside, original journalism isn’t going to be measured in number of daily articles. It’ll be more of the long-form stuff like from Josh Kovensky over the weekend, stuff which takes days or weeks of research and hitting the phones to piece together.

18 Likes

Given the political landscape we have, the GOP is as a hostile foreign power…come to think of it, that’s what it is…an appendage.

And the processes we–the Americans–are privy to will be limited.

5 Likes

Twitter moves too fast. FB has trolls, and unless you create a FB group and make it private. And if you make it private then how are the like minded, or congruous folks suppose find that group?

The thing with TMP right now is that they decided that they needed to change, we have a new administration instead of maladministration so the 8 outrageous or illegal things that Trump thought up each morning to be carried out needed specific articles. Whereas Biden not so much. The storylines and timelines tend to play out longer.

11 Likes

Just because Weisselberg goes in to work every day doesn’t mean he hasn’t flipped. He might be gathering more information for the feds. He might be trying to appear to be not a rat to keep from swimming with the fishes…

5 Likes

Most of us just come for the snark, and stay for the puns and the Jewish Space Lasers.

Ain’t it the truth! Unfortunately, I’m in the under-category (or prime-less or farm raised vs wild caught) but perhaps you could share the scoop on TPM going all in on the ItalyGate blockbuster! You should tell their journos it ain’t the Watergate break in. Couple of nutty old broads still swooning over Trump.

Now if they had the goods on a Manchin/Pool Boy bromance or a Manchin three way tag team with Sinema then I’m signing up for Prime!

Oops, channeling Janis Joplin:

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me
A Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches
I must make amends

I worked hard all my lifetime
No help from my friends
A Mercedes Benz?

A color tv?
Dialing For Dollars
Is trying to find me

I wait for delivery
Each day until three
A color tv?

A night on the town?
I’m counting on you, Lord
Please don’t let me down

Show me you love me
And buy the next round
A night on the town?

A Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches
I must make amends

I worked hard all my lifetime
No help from my friends
A Mercedes Benz?

6 Likes

Agreed, but it really does seem to be a TPM drought lately, with only a couple of “new” articles being posted each day. Certainly seems like there’s enough going on that some daily current events would be worthy of posting, while concurrently working on the long-form stuff…

7 Likes

Obviously Evers will veto this:

But can Republicans in Wisconsin override his veto?

11 Likes

I believe it has been reported that Allen lives in a modest house that he purchased 30 years ago.
What motivates Allen is loyalty. And though we all can think that it’s strange I believe that Allen feels like he is protecting the “Trump family”. Allen is one of the first Donnie cult members.

3 Likes

Since they need 50, that shouldn’t even be an issue. Just say ‘nay’ to anything dumb.

2 Likes

Has SB ever come back from being our ambassador to NZ? Has Jacinda shipped his ass off of her island?

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available