Morning Memo: The 14 GOPers Who Opposed Making Juneteenth A Federal Holiday

Here’s what caught our attention.

The House overwhelmingly passed legislation to make Juneteenth a federal holiday by a 415-14 vote after the Senate had approved it unanimously.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1378041

I haven’t the foggiest idea. I need someone to give me a clue…

19 Likes

I got it! They all have the same first name. Rep.

23 Likes

Dr. Feelgood and Ted Cruz Jr. for the loss.

6 Likes

I’m confused…all the GOP’ers are adamant…“I believe in racial equality” but EVERY time they could help America move a bit in the direction of racial equality they vote no or filibuster? Such a conundrum. Could it be they’re just fucking full of shit and the word “race” in any use evokes negative vibes in them?

They’ve been pulling this two step off forever. Gotta give them credit for that.

5 Likes

That anything passed in Congress (both chambers that is) is impressive /s.

9 Likes

BBC envy maybe?

5 Likes

I had to google that! So many options!

7 Likes

The Florida GOP guy was recorded saying,

Luna is a f—ing speed bump in the road. She’s a dead squirrel you run over every day when you leave the neighborhood.

I see nothing wrong with GOP candidates running over other GOP candidates.

Squirrels, though? That would be tragic.

11 Likes

:musical_note: One of these things is just like the other…:musical_note:

9 Likes

Interesting that the GOP Seditionist ladies Greene and Boebert weren’t in the Juneteenth “No” camp. Were they absent?

9 Likes

I’m not sure they ever qualify as present…

14 Likes

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

7 Likes

It’s this simple: In their respective districts this no vote is a plus. They get emails telling them to vote no.

2 Likes

They would have ruined the masculine aura (well…maybe not Greene) of the class picture.

7 Likes

One of those Republicans, Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) said his problem was that it was called “Juneteenth National Independence Day.” He argued that the name “needlessly divides our nation

Oh, man. I only hope this Rip Van Winkle fellow is sitting down when I tell him about the past four years. Especially as I get to the “Jews will not replace us” chants and “shithole countries” and the Muslim ban. So much ground to cover, so little time.

• The Republican National Committee (RNC) blasted out an utterly shameless complaint that Biden had handed a “win” to Russia by meeting with Putin. “The American people deserve a leader who prioritizes our interests and holds bad actors accountable,” howled the organization whose leader personally cozied up to despots on the regular, Russia included.

And this doesn’t even pass the laugh test. Especially as Trump is still praising and cozying up to Putin.

13 Likes

Insidious

1 Like

I really can’t help you out: they’re not all wearing suits or ties and a couple of them have shaved heads.
It’s gotta be something subtle… Do they all have a Chik-fil-A in their districts?

7 Likes

MTG is frying other fish

13 Likes

You better have defibrillator handy, or he might not be able to wake up the next time.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available