Michael Cohen Expected To Take Stand In Donald Trump’s New York Criminal Trial - TPM – Talking Points Memo

My recollection is that the feds threatened to prosecute Cohen’s wife in order to get him to accept the plea deal. Bragg’s prosecutors are going to have to cover the ground thoroughly on this plea deal which is both an opportunity and a vulnerability for their case.

It is my understanding that Judge Merchan has ruled out Barr’s non-prosecution of Trump in the federal case as a defense in the state case.

17 Likes

Likelihood of fisticuffs trending upward.

2 Likes

Frist!

5 Likes

Instead, he spent this morning charging CBS $35 per hour to hold a spot in the press line.

Check-book journalism? (wry grin)

12 Likes

Can anyone answer why the buzz at the end of last week was that Merchan couldn’t believe the D didn’t object to the question about wearing a condom…and that it would have triggered a mistrial?

All a Defendant needs is one improper question (what was improper about it?) and can get an automatic mistrial IF ONLY they would object in real-time?

How does any trial ever make it to the end, if what appears to be perfectly fair-game questions about a witness’s story can trigger a for-sure mistrial? I mean, I understand if the P asked Stormy about Chump’s role in an insurrection and failed coup.

5 Likes

12m ago09.11 EDT

Donald Trump will apparently be joined in court by a coterie of supporters. Indeed, per a hallway pool report:

A number of people in Trump’s entourage stepped into the hallway just now. Nicole Malliotakis was among them.

12 Likes

I don’t think the issue was it would have triggered a mistrial.

3 Likes

Who?

7 Likes

Local congresswoman-Staten Island.

7 Likes

IIRC, there were legal experts twittering that they missed their chance at a mistrial, and it was echoed by TPM posters. If that isn’t the case, I am glad to hear it.

1 Like

There for the camera.

4 Likes

An outward display of the requisite “loyalty” that was brought up last week. This is a prime demonstration of that testimony. ETA, but still no loyalty from his non-crime-family. ETA #2 - Having thought about ETA #1, i started to wonder if there is really any fundamental difference between his biological family and his crime family. Criminals, all.

18 Likes

CBS gets to write off that standing in line cost as a business expense on its tax returns. So you and I subsidized some of that $35 per hour.

10 Likes

Everyone becomes interested in a train wreck.

10 Likes

Yeah. But Melania’s still keeping away. And schtum.

13 May 202414.25 BST

Donald Trump just entered the courtroom. He was carrying papers, once again. His demeanor was not particularly striking.

He was indeed trailed by supporters, including son Eric Trump and Nicole Malliotakis.

15 Likes

My understanding (such as it is) was that an objection would have been sustained by Merchan. So not sure how that translates into a mistrial.

8 Likes

Whackjob New York rep.

13 Likes

badger badger badger badger badger badger badge badger snake snake oh snake

6 Likes
4 Likes

I’ll second that!

6 Likes