Michael Cohen Expected To Take Stand In Donald Trump’s New York Criminal Trial - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Trump’s former lawyer and “fixer,” Michael Cohen, is expected to testify Monday.

Follow his testimony with us below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1487542

Reminder, Cohen was convicted over the exact same criminal transactions Trump has been charged with and all Chief’s lies and crimes he was convicted of were in service to, and behalf of Trump.

74 Likes
22 Likes

Here’s what Cohen plead guilty to:

the guilty plea of MICHAEL COHEN to charges of tax evasion, making false statements to a federally-insured bank, and campaign finance violations. The plea was entered followed the filing of an eight-count criminal information, which alleged that COHEN concealed more than $4 million in personal income from the IRS, made false statements to a federally-insured financial institution in connection with a $500,000 home equity loan, and, in 2016, caused $280,000 in payments to be made to silence two women who otherwise planned to speak publicly about their alleged affairs with a presidential candidate, thereby intending to influence the 2016 presidential election. COHEN pled guilty today before U.S. District Judge William H. Pauley III.

Not exactly the same charges.

1 Like

That is the hush money payments.

23 Likes

I guess “I’m not making anything up here, I went to prison for this shit.” is a pretty good response to any attempt by defense counsel to attack the witness’s credibiity.

50 Likes

5:15 AM. We will remember this sacrifice, Josh.

Gonna be some genuine wrestling in the courtroom today. Not that WWE stuff.

Gonna see loser vs. loser, round 1.

46 Likes

The payoff itself is not illegal. Trump is charged with falsifying business records. Normally, a misdemeanor. But with the election connection, it is a felony. If I understand correctly, Cohen did the actual falsification of the business records. Of course, it was at Trump’s approval or direction. But proving that with a weasel like Cohen is not a slam dunk. I’m waiting for the cross examination of Cohen.
Stormy’s testimony did absolutely nothing for Bragg, it will hurt his case more than help it. Let’s see how Cohen does.

3 Likes

True, but more to the point about his credibility with his testimony today, he’s already done time. If he’s making shit up this time, he goes back to jail for perjury. At least that gives credibility to his motivation to tell the truth - to avoid jail. Again.

Sure, there’s also payback, but that’s just what should happen, anyway.

20 Likes

Again, Cohen went to prison for the election interference payments. It was literally part of his plea deal with Trump’s DOJ.

While it has to be proven in this court to be a crime Trump was a party to, the point is Cohen’s “credibility” on this matter is not really up for debate regardless of Trump’s lawyers (and the media’s) fervent desire to try and attack it.

Every time they claim Cohen is a “convicted liar” those lies he was convicted of was at the direction of, and in service to Trump.

38 Likes

I disagree. She testified about what Trump didn’t want out before the election, necessitating the hush money payment, they “why” it was political. Also salacious details will be in the back of the minds of the jurors.

Puppy agrees.

61 Likes

The dog bites his master today.

16 Likes

FEDERALLY convicted, eh?

2 Likes

Went to prison for a federal crime. Hopefully the jury find that State laws were broken.

22 Likes

Mushroom!

4 Likes

If there are only 6 seats for the public, how did Rick Scott get one last week? Did Trump have to claim him as a minion? a family member?

22 Likes

She could have been the biggest money hungry liar on the planet. Irrelevant to the crimes Trump committed and is charged with.

I would add however, nobody on planet earth believes notorious cheapskate Trump made multiple payments to the tune of six figures to someone to shut up about something that didn’t happen.

48 Likes

Toad_3D_Land

10 Likes

Yep.

2 Likes

Puppy appears to be making biscuits, and therefore can’t be wrong!

18 Likes