MI GOP Moves To Replace Canvassing Board Member Who Certified Results For Biden | Talking Points Memo

Pretty sad that we have to thank a guy for doing a not particularly arduous bit of ordinary citizen’s-duty.
We do, though.
So thank you, Mr. Van Langevelde.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I’d put ‘his’ recent legal travails as having much bearing on what is coming. After all, his asscrack team was stacked up pretty much against black letter Con law. Frivolous and he wasn’t really at any legal risk. Whereas, his civilian legal troubles still can be lucrative for lawyers and I expect will drag on forever as long as there’s fundage.

This series is excellent. Giamatti and Linney were amazing, as always.

That seems unfair to the Japanese soldiers. They had been completely cut off from all news sources and didn’t know a thing about what had happened outside their immediate surroundings. The MI Republicans are fully aware of what happened. They were aware of it in real time. They just don’t want to accept it.

5 Likes

Trump’s germ warfare against the US continues:

3 Likes

It wouldn’t have changed the events of tomorrow (Wednesday), and even if they pass the bill that is named in honor for John Lewis in Congress, it won’t change the fact that States have their own authority for elections. The Feds can’t even set minimum standards.

I’m surprised more of this hasn’t been tried in deeply red States - naming DINOs to protect the GOP control of the vote.

I suspect WI will be next to try this… :wink:

1 Like

If we want to play with words, maybe she can (correctly) say that, “The Republican Party is not a major political party.”

3 Likes

Actually, if you wanted to make this sort of system work, you’d have the Democratic Party Central Committee nominate registered Republicans, and the Republican Party Central Committee nominate registered Democrats. If you want to be anal retentive about it, give the Central Committees a veto over the first round of nominees from their party.

If the system is working, then the Central Committees work in concert to name reasonable, rational people. If the system isn’t working, then the Central Committees have every reason to nominate candidates who will treat them fairly.

Clearly, whoever wrote these laws never had kids (plural), or if they did, never paid any attention to them.

5 Likes

But, having been a kid, I!d just register GOP if up for the Dem spot,

That’s where the Central Committee comes in. Do you think they’ll approve a brand-new party registrant? I don’t.

1 Like
1 Like

Very, but I’m not sure that particular linguistic affectation is a Trump only phenomenon. It’s the kind of thing you hear on the used car lot, or with the hucksters you see in the commercial boots at the state fair.

At first I thought it was a New York kind of thing, and maybe it is, but I find it spreading in any case. You occasionally hear it spewing from the lips of his disciples. Who knows it may become one of their shibboleths, or if we’re really unlucky it’s own dialect. Then we’ll have to be nice and recognize that “trumponics” is just as valid a dialect as any other.

1 Like

Why stop there? Keep heading west until you’ve gone around the globe enough times to undo the whole damn last four years. (Hey, it worked for Superman…)

1 Like

That fucker Scott Atlas got in Trump’s ear with the herd immunity concept via mass death. Trump says, “Oh, we can open up the economy then, let’s do it.”

1 Like

Ever wonder why they called him Gomez?

1 Like

Maybe this is not quite as craven as it might seem …

Michigan GOP Chair Laura Cox - has raw meat craving hyenas to satisfy - so for her - making the deliberate choice of renominating Aaron Van Langevelde was essentially a non-starter … However, appears that she may not necessarily want to insert an automatic election nullification zealot …

According to the article she sent three names to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer:

Linda Lee Tarver - Trump loyalist who filed an unsuccessful lawsuit against the Board of State Canvassers;
Among the three GOP nominees for Van Langevelde’s seat, Tarver of Lansing has been the most aggressive in pushing claims about the Nov. 3 election. She appeared at a Dec. 1 Michigan Senate Oversight Committee hearing about the election.
she said if had been given a vote on the board Nov. 23,
she would not have voted to certify the election.

Tony Daunt, executive director of Michigan Freedom Fund
leads a nonprofit organization that’s spoken out against false claims about the election.
On. Jan. 6, Daunt said the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol was "an outgrowth of the rhetoric, lies and conspiracies spread by the president and other elected Republicans who’ve falsely and feverishly claimed November’s election was stolen."

In a Monday interview, Daunt said Van Langevelde handled his vote on Nov. 23 appropriately.

Tori Sachs, executive director of Michigan Rising Action.
she served six years in former Gov. Rick Snyder’s administration and managed Republican John James’ unsuccessful campaign for the U.S. Senate in 2018.
She also has been critical of false claims about the Nov. 3.
“People have arrived at the conclusions they arrived at because they’ve been told over and over in certain echo chambers that the election was stolen, that the votes were rigged, and that somehow Donald Trump was still going be president of the United States even though he lost the election — and those things are simply not true,” Sachs said during a Jan. 10 appearance on WDIV’s “Flashpoint.”

Oh - and just saw this …

3 Likes

Thank you for the fact checking! Useful information.

baffling … what about pre-emptive pardons? those OK too?
would kind of turn the Presidential Pardon into a sort of PBA Card - that makes violations vanish
How many times can it be used? - or is it like lifetime immunity from prosecution?

Could only imagine a "secret " Presidential Pardon only having any slight possibility of justification if it was related to some highly secret extrajudicial “matter of national security” action that was intended to never see the light of day. There might be instances where a hideously difficult action had to be taken -
(for example - urgent - ‘Hobson’s choice’ having to be made to save large population group - but with casualties in a smaller group - either choice being highly imperfect)

It would be totally bizarre & reprehensible if it was simply a “get out of jail free” card that would just sit in a desk drawer of some criminal awaiting potential prosecution… but then again … Trump would consider it in a number of cases …
… let’s say they find evidence that Barr orchestrated the execution of Epstein … would they then find out that Barr has immunity …?
… let’s say events unfold and the Sheikh considered to have responsibility in the Jamal Khashoggi starts to be investigated … would they then find out that Trump provided him with a free pass …?

If he does the secret pardons - those will be the ones for his family and himself.

There are a number of people (including one of his accountants) that was expected to receive a pardon. However, with the pending litigation with Letitia James, Trump wants that guy to take full advantage of the 5th amendment and will leave him hanging.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available