MI GOP Moves To Replace Canvassing Board Member Who Certified Results For Biden | Talking Points Memo

The Michigan Republican Party has moved to replace the Republican member of the Board of State Canvassers who defied the President and certified the state’s election results for Joe Biden. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1355208
1 Like

It is. Thank-you for doing your job, Mr. Van Langevelde.

70 Likes

Well, I guess they showed him.

And what TV show is this “John Adams” character on, anyway?

30 Likes

Dang, the saying “they believe their own press” is an axiom with them.

12 Likes

What are the governor’s legal guidelines here? Can anyone else submit nominations?

5 Likes

How telling is it that his services are no longer needed because he did the right thing?

53 Likes

Can she say “no” to all of them? Are they interviewed and asked if they know what their job is - not what the Republican party expects them to do?

6 Likes

Didn’t take them long to get back to burnishing things to a deep orange luster.

14 Likes

You are on the right side of history and the law. You did the right thing. There is no room for you in the Republican Party.

45 Likes

Sadly, Mr. Van Langevelde represents a breed of Republican that is on the Endangered Species list.

13 Likes

Paul Giamatti was a brilliant John Adams in this mini-series. Laura Linney equally brilliant as Abigail.

21 Likes

This is disheartening and cynical, to say the least. The Republican Party will be a lot more vexed, themselves, in the months to come, as Trump and Trumpism face the accounting for their voluminous misdeeds.

31 Likes

This is a good career move. The more space he can create between the forces of the evil Neo-Confederacy Party and his next job, the better for him. Being on the right side of history will be comfortable. The rest belong in the ash heap of history along with the Flint Water Perps.

25 Likes

I am sure the Arizona GOP is seething at being one-upped by these assholes and will respond accordingly.

17 Likes

“My conscience is clear, and I am confident that my decision is on the right side of the law and history,” Van Langevelde

you are 3/4’s of the way home. One more stop to change your party affiliation and you have made it to the promised land.
Enjoy sanity and truth along with escaping the gop kiss of death for not being a lying backstabbing minion of the 2 time impeached idiot and his cultists.

25 Likes

But remember, now is the time for UNITY!

18 Likes

Michigan? Are you really so far into the Trump cult that you will allow a honest Republican – there are so few – to go down at the hands of your elected Fascists?

9 Likes

The Republicans will not have any members on the next commission because it will be called the Trump Party by then.

1 Like

Totally. I know MI has a long history of militia crazies, but methinks/hopes that the multitude of attempts to specifically disenfranchise Black voters will badly damage the GOP in that state for years and years to come. That, along with the attempts on the governor’s life and the meltdown over Gov. Whitmer’s Covid protocols have probably sunk the MI GOP from winning statewide office for a very long time. MI has their crazy like every state, there just aren’t enough of them.

30 Likes

Well, the majority Leader in the Michigan Senate represents a district that includes Hillsdale. Those people care more about their God’s laws.

This is America. Find another country.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available