Meet the Pastors Holding In-Person Services During Coronavirus | Talking Points Memo

This story first appeared at ProPublica, and is a collaboration between ProPublica and the Texas Tribune. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1301532

If you want to get to heaven you’d better head out now.

4 Likes

Coronavirus,6,000,000 new unemployment filings, over 700,000 jobless 4/3/2020 and yet.

Trump nominates former Kavanaugh clerk for influential appeals court

2 Likes

These ‘pastors’ are ridiculous. God helps those who help themselves. He gives you the tools. This is not only deadly to these fools but to those they come in contact with. For the Governors of these states to pander for votes puts us ALL at risk. I am reminded during the Crystal Cathedral days when they had a parking lot hooked up like a drive-in theatre. Social distancing at its best. NOW you can beam it in to your HOMES. C’mon people.

5 Likes

Just an FYI to the Greed-Over-People Party Gov of TX

When you say everything is big in Texas
That does NOT mean you have to spread Covid BIGLY in TX!

Church’s are SUPER SPREADERS
in a South Korean church, it church clusters spread Covid-19 to over 5,016 people, you Maggoted Moronic MAGAts!

STOP making USA play Whack-A-Covid because of your selfishness and worship to the altar of your Dear Covidiot Orange Leader!

Addendum:

Let’s NOT forget what the Lt. Gov of TX said:

OK to KAG (Kill American Geriatrics) for Wallstreet/Trump$$$

5 Likes

Abbott’s office released joint guidance with Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton that said houses of worship must be given special consideration for constitutional reasons
”

Sorry, but there’s not a chance in Hell that closing churches is unconstitutional during an emergency.

It’d be different if only mosques were closed, or only synagogues, or only Catholic churches

But if a public-heath emergency requires ALL of them to close, then there’s no case whatsoever.

Abbott really IS as dumb – and homicidal – as he looks.

17 Likes

This is typical Abbott.

I wouldn’t care if all the RW christians in the state died but they’re going to kill us in the process.

8 Likes

We’re and essential service sounds so much better than “if they don’t show up, they don’t put their hard earned cash into the donation plate”. This isn’t about spiritual support or being essential it’s all about the money.

6 Likes

Ta Da! You win because that is the entire reason behind this. If people don’t show up in person their dollars don’t go in the plate.

7 Likes

"But Harvard’s Hanage said gatherings of any size are problematic. And the way people interact in churches, synagogues, mosques and other religious facilities — shaking hands, hugging, singing — appears conducive to what epidemiologists call “super-spreading events,”

Dougherty County, Georgia currently has the third-highest per capita infection rate of all counties in the nation. That started at a funeral.

5 Likes

We may be scrambling for a lot of things in this crisis, but we are never going to run out of stupid.

11 Likes

12 Likes

15 Likes

I know it makes me a terrible person, but I admit my first thought was ‘well, more food for the rest of us in a month’. Still it’s a shame about all the not.fucking.stupid people going to get cross- contaminated because of these fuckwits.

1 Like

Some pastors look after the well-being of their flock, some just fleece them.

9 Likes

Last night on the news they showed what a local Episcopal priest is doing while his congregation stays at home. He asked them to send him their pictures and he set up the pictures on their pews so that he can see his congregation when he holds services. It was quite dear - all these people and families in pictures on sticks sitting in pews. hahaha

5 Likes

For those who went to services and did not die of covid-19, it’s a miracle! Praise the lord! The ones who did die, well the lord works in mysterious ways and they probably deserved it anyways.

This has been another lesson in selection bias.

8 Likes

I can’t tell from the way the article is written:
Am I to understand that 30 states have declared church to be an ‘essential service’ ? Or do this many states have a ‘stay at home order’ while just Texas exempts church?

I’ve always found the shepherd-flock analogy to be apt.

2 Likes

Evidently FSM expects us to use the brains he gave us.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available