Meadows’ Closest Aide Set To Testify During Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing

The Jan. 6 Select Committee announced a surprise public hearing without indicating who the witnesses will be. Last night, news broke that today’s hearing will reportedly feature Cassidy Hutchinson, former aide to White House chief of staff Mark Meadows.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1421808

How long before Meadows either denies knowing her or disparages and besmirches her reputation?

How long before the first physical damage happens to her person or that of her family?

44 Likes

I don’t know Cassidy Hutchinson, and I can’t speak to how things worked at the White House, but when Meadows was on the Hill he always insisted that she be in *every* meeting he had, no matter how small. It was odd then, and doesnt seem to be working out for him now.

— Brendan Buck (@BrendanBuck) June 28, 2022
63 Likes

Thank you Cassidy.
We Americans know that going against fascist, authoritarian or Putin based parties takes pure courage.
My hope is all the media outlets back you and search out those who will threaten you.

39 Likes

Sounds like meadowmuffins had some familiarity with his limitations.

28 Likes

I hope she’s tough as nails. If she’s ever had any overdue library books you’re going to hear about it on FoxNews tonight.

46 Likes

Sounds like she did all the work and Meadows took the credit. Would be in line with what we know about Meadows.

51 Likes

These Hearings have gone very well…and the J6 Committee is getting more acclimated to the proceedings.

That happens with purposeful adults with a mission.

Kinzinger is a relatively young man. He almost matches Schiff** in his professionalism…with the added passion of a younger man.

**Not to disparage Schiff. His speech in Trump’s first Impeachment Trial was Historic.

32 Likes

Dan Rather

56 Likes

“It just wasn’t going to happen. And because there was a false narrative out there that he did it by state, you know, one vote per state — no, every member of Congress can vote,” Johnson said. “We were never going to get one Democrat to vote for that.”

Can anyone elucidate what he’s yammering about here? I’m lost. Who did what by state? Every member is voting on which now?

6 Likes

Ron Johnson is right: No Democrats were ever going to vote to sustain any objections to any of the actual electoral slates. Which means Trump’s entire fake electors scheme was always doomed to failure. Which is probably why Trump decided to set the mob loose on the Capitol, just out of desperation to shake out a different outcome.

64 Likes
1 Like

“…You’re a good man, Briggs…and a good man always knows his limitations…”

2 Likes

It’s hideously garbled, but what he’s saying is that it never would have gone to a state-by-state vote in the House because every member of the House first gets to vote on the objections that would have to be sustained in order to deny Joe a majority of the electoral votes and thereby send it for that state-by-state vote of the House.

27 Likes

He was very effective in the last hearing. Clear, incisive, eloquent

21 Likes

Shorter Johnson?: My connection to illegality was no big deal because it never would have worked!

34 Likes

Do you think Trump personally, affirmatively put in motion the storming of the Capitol building? And if he did, was there a point in time during or after the various speeches at the Ellipse he could have made the decision it was not going to happen, and stopped it?
Seems to me once the J6 events kicked off it was doomed to unfold as it did, and much of it was beyond Trump’s control, at least by about noon that day.

5 Likes

For a guy who had nothing to do with any fake electors, this is quite an inside baseball take on the mechanics of it all… nearly two years after the fact.

15 Likes

Also, the getaway car had less than a quarter of a tank, and two of the tires were flat. I’m innercent, guv!

23 Likes

It was well understood and widely reported in the days before the J6 certification proceeding that Trump wanted Pence to toss out swing state electors and was going to have members object to those slates even if Pence didn’t play along. So it would be pretty surprising if RonJohn didn’t understand that was the plan.

19 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available