McConnell’s New Bill Reveals Unrelenting Pressure To Curb Judge-Shopping

Just a few weeks ago, it seemed that the energy around addressing the increasingly common practice of plaintiffs handpicking their judges had unexpectedly flared, and more expectedly died down.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1485736
1 Like

How long will the DoNothing GOP take to … do nothing?

25 Likes

At least through 2024.

14 Likes

Even with a system stacked in their favor in every way, it’s not enough. They want a dictator. It’s like there’s no appeasing authoritarians!

26 Likes

McTurtle will do everything in his power to maintain his long-term efforts to stack the courts.

IMHO He’s done as much, if not more, to harm this country as the Mayor of Mal-d-Lardo. He will do anything and everything to preserve his sinister legacy of evility.

41 Likes

Karma is sleeping on the job.

7 Likes

Well, a “consensus to delay” discussion suggests that the infamous Texas district would like to avoid the issue entirely, so Congress should act. Except that half of Congress is probably favorable to judge shopping, or was until recently.

11 Likes

McConnell only cares about winning and power, and he’s good at it. He’s seeing that the crazies they use to achieve those goals have a life of their own now and are hurting their chances. Eliminate the national impact and it’s a lot quieter.

8 Likes

Pretty sure I said somewhere in here six or eight years back that McConnell, recognizing that electoral demographics disfavored Republicans, was unfolding a scheme to rule the country through the judicial branch. One of the reasons, I suspect, that he hates Trump as much as he does, because as President Trump will piss on the judiciary whenever he wants.

20 Likes

… which, sad to relate, is bending over backwards to assist The Defendant. So Mitch’s “long game” hasn’t entirely borne fruit.

4 Likes

McConnell is one of the most harmful human beings ever to live, and he chortles all the way to the bank.

18 Likes

Delay, delay, delay. Maintain the present fraud and discuss. The essence of politics - money talking to itself.

And if you can steal it fast enough no one can put a hand on you.

6 Likes

“McConnell’s bill seeks to stop district courts from issuing national injunctions altogether, rather than targeting the single-judge districts like Schumer’s does.”

That’s a big NO. It admittedly has superficial appeal, but it is really nothing but McConnell trying to set the stage for when they next have power and their behavior is so egregious that national injunctions are warranted.

20 Likes

When I was young, my impression was that almost universally Federal Judges did all they could to follow existing law and avoid the limelight. They clearly didn’t want to be known as partisans. They didn’t want somebody to ask “you and what army say what?” when they issued a ruling. They expected people to treat it as the voice of God.

The last 20 years or so the Federal Courts have become increasingly partisan. In times past Matthew Kacsmaryk would have been the butt of jokes at both bar and judicial functions. Nobody would have given him the time of day.

Successful judge shopping has done more than anything to create disrespect for all members of the Federal Bench. Our Federal Courts have become hopelessly and overtly partisan. I long for the days you had to actually do research to find out a judge’s political leanings. Sadly today every article refers to so and so the “Trump judge” or the “Biden judge” or the "Obama judge. " We have to get back to our recent past when becoming a Federal Judge meant that you were now more than a partisan hack and were expected to act like it.

31 Likes

Happened to be in the senate gallery yesterday. Cornyn got up and gave an absolutely fucking infuriating up-is-down speech opposing the new judicial conference guidelines because, among other sophistry, “imagine a woman challenging the state’s abortion laws having to travel all the way from Fort Worth to Lubbock to have her day in court”

I’m not sure who the speech was aimed at -donors? Anti-abortion litigants? I think if he was aiming for Fox not-news he would have had cute graphics like Joni Ernst did when she tried to blame slow SSA call response times on federal workers working from home (as opposed to say, the appropriations controlling how many staff the SSA can hire)

Anyway- clearly he was pretty mad about a very mild attempt to un-rig the courts. I rolled my eyes so hard they nearly got stuck, despite the stern warning from the aide who ushered us in about visible or audible displays of approval or disapproval.

26 Likes

McConnell’s bill, so far, hasn’t attracted much support. It had two cosponsors as of Wednesday, compared to the 39 who’d signed on to Schumer’s bill. Neither piece of legislation had lured senators from the other party.

Not sure why I read that as cosplayers. Oh, right.

8 Likes

Unlimited money for the Right without oversight has done this, as intended.

8 Likes

Anyone who would stack the deck the way they have is pretty much telegraphing who and what they are and their intent is clear. Installing a dictator was always the plan. It’s not a mistake.

5 Likes

Squarely aimed at securing his succession to McConnell… although it probably won’t hurt with certain white christian nationalist billionaires in west Texas.

5 Likes

Wasn’t there something in the canon of ethics about bringing the legal system into disrepute?

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available