McConnell Immediately Dismisses Manchin Voting Compromise As ‘Equally Unacceptable’

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) made short work of any notion that Sen. Joe Manchin’s (D-WV) voting compromise would attract Republican support, calling it “equally unacceptable” to the original For the People Act and “totally inappropriate.” 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1378189

Schumer is bringing S1 or a modified version up for a vote next week. We’ll see if he has lined up Manchin/Sinema to support an exception to the filibuster. There is no time like the present.

48 Likes

Right on brand from McConnell.

37 Likes

Um, like anyone thought otherwise.

Let’s see if Manchin’s money masters let him compromise.

15 Likes

Fuck you, Mitch. We’re going to get it across the finish line - just stand over there and watch us do it.

47 Likes

Fuck Joe Manchin.

Can’t be said enough.

18 Likes

Yertle’s wayward child hath spoken.
And, he has said the same thing again.
Are some folks really that averse to hearing him?

4 Likes

Is anyone else concerned that the anti gerrymandering component would be nixed by the courts?

8 Likes

I’m seriously wondering if someone gave up on Manchin and succeeded in flipping McConnell. Every time Manchin says, “All I have to do is find 10 good Republicans” Mitch jumps up and says over my dead body. He’s either just taunting and trolling Manchin, or he secretly wants Ds to get rid of the filibuster.

27 Likes

No moving forward from the Republicans…

2 Likes

On what basis?

6 Likes

McC: ‘Don’t you all know by now that anything that doesn’t give us just literally everything we ask for on a silver plate is unfair, monstrous, and an affront to the Republic? We only ask that you believe everything we say and give us all the capital. Anything less is tyranny.’

19 Likes

I have to wonder how many more times Manchin is going to try to go this well of Bipartisanship. He keeps trying and he keeps getting shot down. At what point does he figure out that the GQP does NOT mean well for the Biden agenda or anything else the Democrats want?

He’s starting to look more and more stupid with every passing day. The more he harps on bipartisanship, the dumber he continues to look.

Enough, already…

22 Likes

Asshole.

15 Likes

Those who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of those that are doing it.

8 Likes

This is just fuckery by Mitch. He’s is trying to get into the heads of Democrats.

10 Likes

I’m something of a cockeyed optimist here in the Hive, but the immediacy of this statement, and its rhetoric, sound panicky to me. It’s like Mitch clapping his hands over the electorate’s ears and shrieking “can’t hear you! can’t hear you! Not listening!”

LOTR smeagol-not-listening

30 Likes

McConnell is the kind of asshole who makes other assholes sit up and say, “Now, THERE’S an asshole!”

40 Likes

“equally unacceptable"
“totally inappropriate”

Well, Mitch, here’s an equal, acceptable, appropriate, and total Fuck You.

13 Likes

I suggest both. McConnell is mad that he’s not in charge, so he’s doing what he can to obstruct and deny. The GQP may possibly take the Senate back if the D’s get rid of the filibuster because the messaging will be controlled by the GQP. Never mind that McConnell got rid of a portion of the filibuster for judicial noms. The Dems have destroyed the Senate (never mind that the filibuster is in no way part of the Constitution). Unfortunately, the message will be fully controlled and not by the Dems.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available