McConnell, Hoyer Up Pressure On McCarthy As Greene Confrontation Approaches

In a set of unusual moves, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) are upping the pressure on House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) to do something about the House’s QAnon problem ahead of a Wednesday Republican conference meeting.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1357901

In general, this does raise a question. In Greene’s case, I don’t have time to worry about it right now.

If McCarthy wants to defend her, let him first do it, explicitly.

26 Likes

Remove her from committees but let her stay in congress.

She’s campaign gold for the Democrats…the true face of the GOP.

30 Likes

“It is my hope and expectation that Republicans will do the right thing and hold Rep. Greene accountable…”

I think I spot the problem, right there.

32 Likes

The Big Greene Confrontation …

2 Likes

Democrats have scheduled a House Rules Committee hearing Wednesday to vote on a resolution to strip her of the assignments.

A floor vote on the issue would, along with possibly stripping her of committee assignments, force every House Republican to go on the record about whether she should be punished.

What are the voting thresholds for removing a congresscritter’s committee assignments? I thought it was a within-party thing (eg. simple majority D vote cannot strip R committee assignments).

4 Likes

I gather Kate Hill was not available for comment?

I think we know whose party it wants to be, now we’re just haggling over the price.

14 Likes

McCarthy must be soiling his pants out of fear that Marjory Greene is going to shoot him.

5 Likes

McCarthy needs to heed the advice of his betters:

7 Likes

McCarthy has to check in with T**** before he has a bowel movement; he’ll never defy the EXIMPOTUS.

3 Likes

Kevin McCarthy is a chamaleon that wants to be in good terms with everybody and that doesn’t have any moral compass and if he has it, he doesn’t the ovaries to make a stand.

7 Likes

I love that Nancy, Gaetz, and McConnell are all uniting, all for their utterly different and otherwise-at-odds motives, to crush McCarthy’s tiny stupid balls in a vise.

17 Likes

Adding another layer of pressure, there is some reported concern among House members about punishing a member for something she did before she was elected

Okay, give her an opportunity to renounce her previous bullshit, then punish her for refusing to do so.

17 Likes

Given his demonstrated courage in past episodes, I suspect he already wears Depends ®.

Look at Noob taking over the leadership role of the republican house!

4 Likes

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) are upping the pressure on House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA)

Embracing Biden’s call for bipartisanship and unity.

9 Likes

McConnell has actually had enough. I never thought I would see the day, but here it is. I wonder how long this will last?

4 Likes

I’m no where near a parliamentarian, but this might help:

5 Likes

I don’t believe its a matter of a floor vote, though that’s one option available. The Speaker can remove people from standing committees, and both parties have rules in place that require any Chair/ranking member to resign if they are indicted.

But the Speaker’s ability to do that is an open question. When Boehner removed 4 republicans back when he was Speaker, he did so via a steering committee, that basically just refused to re-nominate them to those committees. (Still didn’t work out for Boehner, that accelerated the process to him being ousted).

And as a general rule, Speakers are loathe to remove people from the other party, which is why the pressure is being turned up on McCarthy.

And IMO, McCarthy is actually the real story here. His weakness and lack of leadership on dealing with her is the main issue, and its pretty clear its being noted by other leaders in the GOP. And by leadership, I am not even saying that he has to remove her himself…but he needs to take a stand and stick to it, one way or the other. But his incessant need to have everyone like him is preventing him from doing that.

10 Likes

Ordinarily, it is a within-party thing.

Here, if the Republicans fail to act internally, the main reason to hold a vote is to put them on the record.

Another possibility that some see is to force her resignation. For now I doubt this happens.

We’re a long way from being able to expel her; and also a year away from a re-election campaign.

12 Likes