McConnell Finally Caves On Election Security Measure After Months Of Stonewalling

He knows it’s too little, and too late to add more resources when it becomes clear how bad the attacks are. It’s like agreeing to give workers dust masks after they’ve already developed lung disease.

8 Likes

Thanks for keeping us supplied with our U.S. RDA of Casablanca references. :+1:

1 Like

McConnell is paper hanging.

2 Likes

Is hell freezing over today?

2 Likes

Maybe he’s turning over a new leaf.

. I don’t think that anybody could have predicted that…

1 Like

Trump. For all his bluster, he’s very much the sub to Putin’s dom. Completely dominated at a fundamental level. Trump is already the world’s easiest mark, and for ex-KGB guy who heard about Stormy and saw those Russian tapes and is practiced at pushing assets’ psychological buttons… the Cranberries have a song about it.

Mitch may be bought or even blackmailed, but he’s smart and conniving and not easily fooled.

Mitch would betray Putin in a heartbeat if it were expedient. Trump can’t. He’s disgusting on every level. Weak past the point of pathos, so it’s just sickening.

11 Likes

I think the Moscow Mitch thing really got under the guy’s skin

3 Likes

And even if Trump signs it, he may just sit on the money. Or divert it to the border wall. Who’s gonna stop him?

2 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing: We have a winner!

1 Like

it’s where he keeps his AR15 burp gun and his Novochok antidote. Keep your head on a swivel, MM.

1 Like

‘…and let me take TOTAL CREDIT for it even though the President is against this! VOTE FOR ME!’

Being the great ‘deal maker’ he thinks he is, however, he might make a deal to save his arse from prison and cut the prison terms of the crime family. Mike Pounce can run on the GOP tkt 2020. LOL

2 Likes

Moscow Mitch’s pissing contest rivaled Rump’s Russian hookers, over $250 million??? Seriously??? After all that, that’s it???

1 Like

I go for the latter. Cockroaches never die.

1 Like

Exactly.

So is there enough time left for that money to be put to good use or did Moscow Mitch stall long enough to make it purely symbolic interest?

1 Like

Yup, I too read this as a bad sign for Trump. I’d love to know how McConnell knows things aren’t going to go well and this kind of CYA is necessary. He didn’t even have time to milk the decision, he did it instantly.

However, it’s worth notting that this is like putting a Band Aid on a door facing a battering ram. It’s a total of $250 million dollars which sounds like a lot but it’s split over 50 states, so it’s roughly $5 million per state. I’m sure some sort of implementation that requires, oh, I dunno, a website with photos of New Black Panthers, can eat up most of the money per state very quickly. Just slowing down coordination between states, which if I understand the bill correctly, is built in, will reduce efficiency significantly.

2 Likes

Alternatively, Trump might just veto the damn thing. That would, very likely, be stupid and a bad move, but I could imagine it happening. Remember Trump’s Razor.

3 Likes

My first thought as well was that this really isn’t a lot of money for the kind of security we actually need to strengthen our current election systems in every state. It’s peanuts, really.

My second thought is it also happens to be the same amount of money reportedly that trump has threatened to withhold from Ukraine by sanctioning them if they don’t give him the dirt he wants on Biden, or as any other way to help Putin somehow. Some in the Senate had wanted to have that money released a lot earlier and given to Ukraine for support from the Pentagon military budget towards its struggle in fighting back against Putin’s encroachment on its eastern border.

On Sept. 12 this was reported in The Hill:

The Trump administration is releasing $250 million in military aid after lawmakers raised concerns over its delay, members of the Senate Appropriations Committee announced Thursday.

I find the amount of $250 mil. for election security a strange coincidence, but we all know money in a budget is always looked upon as fungible by trump, that can be moved around however and whenever he wants to take from one part of the budget to be used by him for some other emergency, so who knows…

MoscowMitch using a $250 mil. figure may be just be another way to muddy the waters in the press over these two stories. Our election security especially, this late in the game, certainly deserves a lot more than that amount imo.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available