McConnell Finally Caves On Election Security Measure After Months Of Stonewalling

After months of constantly blocking bipartisan efforts to address foreign election hacking, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) finally gave in on Thursday and announced his support for an election security funding measure of $250 million.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1249612
1 Like

Welp. Looks like McConnell knows what’s in that whistleblower report and, yep, definitely its about Trump and Putin.

The need to create a counter-narrative about how tough, very tough, Trump has been on Putin by having him sign this legislation is the only reason Moscow Mitch be doing this.

Whether Putin lets Trump sign it is another question.

ETA: OMG! What if the promise to Putin was about not letting this specific legislation become law?

69 Likes

when we stop posturing for the press

WOW… I actually think MoscowMitch might think that people are more stupid then tRump thinks they are

18 Likes

Baby steps, baby steps. I guess being tagged Moscow Mitch had an impact.

32 Likes

Well, problem solved. We all feel safer now #moscowmitch. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes
7 Likes

Hoping none of the $250 mil goes to Ivanka Trump’s trademarked voting machines. There probably is something nefarious in this or why else would Moscow Mitch change his mind?

11 Likes

Yup - totally in response to the whistle blower shenanigans.

No other developments of late - would cause him to flip

27 Likes

So it looks to me. Only question is whether Moscow Mitch is acting in concert with Trump or underbussing him to save his own worthless hide.

33 Likes

That press statement by Moscow Mitch is outright BS…the guy must have 1984 memorized, it’s infuriating how much he does stuff like this. Odds are he waited as long as he could get away with before letting this through, so that the chances of really useful changes are going to go into effect are smaller.

ETA: If the whistleblower stuff is through Ukraine as the rumors suggest, then it is interesting that McConnell may be reacting to that with this package. The Giuliani-Ukraine tactic to interfere with the election by hurting Biden may have gone further than we thought, and Moscow Mitch may be trying to make it look like Republicans really are trying to protect elections, it’s just Trump doing dirty deeds. That would be followed by pitching Trump overboard and chaos in selecting a new candidate, so Mitch is trying to save the Senate by pulling this stunt. Hopefully it backfires, it’s a craven move on his part if that’s what he’s thinking.

40 Likes

However, that’s no reason to stop referring to Moscow Mitch as Moscow Mitch.

59 Likes

He may pass this bill, but…sniff…he’ll always be Moscow Mitch to me.

42 Likes

Means that Moscow assured Moscow Mitch that Moscow can get around all of the measures in the bill.

15 Likes

“…Moscow Mitch…”

67 Likes

Awfully interesting that he wouldn’t let this come up for months and now the spot light is again on the criminal in chief and Moscow Mitch decides to bring this up. :smirk:

27 Likes

We have plenty of imaginative people here that can create new moniker for #MoscowMitch.

2 Likes

Yer still Moscow’s Bitch, MoscowMitch!

9 Likes

The Republican leader also jabbed at his Democratic critics, saying that the amendment is “exactly the kind of positive outcome” that is possible “when we stop posturing for the press.”

12 Likes

He is the senator from Kentucky, he’s been around a long time, and I bet he’s got the dirt on quite a few Republicans.

2 Likes

Yeah. Mitch, Nunes and McCarthy all know the details of the whistleblower complaint.

29 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available