McConnell Backs Trump’s Refusal To Despite Decisive Election Result

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on Monday threw his support behind President Donald Trump’s undemocratic rejection of the election results that led to his defeat at the hands of President-elect Joe Biden.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1343796
1 Like

I hate this man more than anyone in public office. Just evil.

73 Likes

McConnell has made a serious mistake. A grievous miscalculation.

40 Likes

“If any major irregularities occurred this time of a magnitude that would effect the outcome, then every single American should want them to be brought to light,” [McConnell] said. “And if Democrats feel confident they have not occurred, they should have no reason to fear any extra scrutiny.”

Maybe Amy McGrath, McConnell’s own election opponent, should take this cue.

45 Likes

As absurd that this is, it’s becoming dangerous.

33 Likes

The alternate reality that the right lives in needs to be confronted head on. There is no need at this moment for understanding reconciliation. There’s a need for some tough forced reality checking. I hope the new admin figures it out.

30 Likes

McConnell is not king, any more than Trump.

21 Likes

At what point will we accept that this refusal to concede is what it is and not some personal trumpian ego saving theater?

17 Likes

Someone please explain to me again how we’re supposed to act all conciliatory to the other side?

Haven’t had a good laugh in a couple of hours now.

56 Likes

Exactly. The GOP is once again playing the media, convincing all the outlets that they’re just placating Trump’s ego, while they delegitimize the Biden presidency right in front of our noses.

26 Likes

43 Likes

Of course any candidate has the right to question any irregularities. No one is stopping him except his own appointed judges because they still operate in an environment where evidence is required to support his claims.

Democrats aren’t fearful of anyone asking for recounts. That said we aren’t about to pretend that just because the Trump Administration or Campaign says something that isn’t a lie like everything else. To quote the second worst president, and fellow Republican, “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…can’t get fooled again.”

Until Trump is able to prove in court or through a recount that he, contrary to all available evidence won 270 electoral votes, I’m going to bask in the calmness of having a grown up lead the people. McConnell likely feels the same way at this point, but is terrified of pissing off the Trumpets during the GA runoffs.

Here is to hoping we can avoid needing to know what Mitch McConnell thinks about anything soon enough too!

18 Likes

The Republican Party needs to be burned to the ground. If Hillary had pursued these frivolous lawsuits, all hell would’ve broken loose on the right. They are trying to sabotage Joe’s Presidency. They are anti-democracy.

“And if Democrats feel confident they have not occurred, they should have no reason to fear any extra scrutiny.”

37 Likes

But he is scared of Trump.

6 Likes

Such a pig. Thanks again, Kentucky voters, for returning this slime to public office. It’s on you.

29 Likes

Saturday. We decided Saturday.

14 Likes

This is going to end well.

4 Likes

Next January 20th? Just spitballing here…

5 Likes

McConnell is not scared of Trump. Not one bit. McConnell is doing plenty of damage to our democracy all on his own.

29 Likes

Personally, I’d define that as cutting off their legs but not necessarily both their arms.

(You’ll excuse the metaphor, I hope.)

13 Likes