McConnell Accuses Dems Of ‘Playing The Race Card’ Amid Furor On GA Voting Law | Talking Points Memo

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on Wednesday accused those opposed to a restrictive voting rights law in Georgia of “playing the race card,” insisting that any notion of voter suppression was a far cry from reality. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1368670
1 Like

“I didn’t say that very artfully yesterday,” he said at an event in his home state.
“They are certainly entitled to be involved in politics,” he added.

Never bite the hand that feeds you works for turtles too.

8 Likes

That Mitch McConnell!

He’s such a (race) card.

14 Likes

As always, using the Republican definition of ‘people’ as being about a third of the actual population.

9 Likes

Yeah Mitch. It’s a humanity thing; you wouldn’t understand.

I do so admire OTOH how you tell your corporate buddies to STF up and keep sending money if ya know what’s good for you.

7 Likes

“A far cry from reality” describes Kentucky.

4 Likes

No, Yertle, bad turtle.

6 Likes

White supremacy is the race card that has been played since the founding of the Republic

21 Likes

McConnell claims ‘race card:’ Those surprised by this may need to be reassured that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow.

2 Likes

Uh OK…and you 'white ‘splaining’ how it doesn’t HURT anybody sure doesn’t help, Mitch. LISTEN UP BUDDY BOY…white politicians, Kemp for one, wrote the election laws for over TEN YEARS. The voters learned how to ‘use’ the laws and then because of a loud-mouthed fraud they had 3 investigations/recounts and NOTHING WAS WRONG but ‘somehow’ decided that the laws NEEDED to be rewritten. Go figure.

8 Likes

Reminds me of this:

27 Likes

I don’t like Mitch McConnell…

9 Likes

McConnell Accuses Dems Of ‘Playing The Race Card’ Amid Furor On GA Voting Law

You dealt the deck using your cards, Mitch.

16 Likes

Hey, only Republicans can play the race card! Only Republicans get to politicize tragedies! Only Republicans get to manufacture outrage! Only Republicans are permitted to harp on the same old trivia for decade after decade!

Them’s the rules!

14 Likes

Only in GOP politics is “playing the race card” an effective counterattack. In real life, a burglar who’s confronted by a cop while coming out of a house with the jewelry in a bag could say “You’re playing the larceny card” and nobody would take it very seriously.

22 Likes

McConnell is able to more nimbly navigate familiar terrain — focusing on the kinds of culture wars that have animated the Republican Party

Fifty years without a change in tactics just underlines their pressing irrelevance. (Joe Manchin would argue to the contrary.) The successes of the past are losing propositions for the future. The Southern Strategy, supply-side economics, the Gingrich demonization politics - the youngest of these ideas is thirty years old. They are all toxic ideologies.

So to McConnell, I just wonder how he figures why Gen-X, millennials, and Gen-Y are stampeding away from his party’s long-held beliefs.

15 Likes

“People are not being denied the right to vote anywhere in America,” McConnell said.

Huh. They must not have caught what he followed up with under his breath – “but all them dusky folks should have to run an obstacle course in the next county over if they want to line up without water to vote for the Chinese Communist Party.”

11 Likes

Hey! They recently elected a Democratic governor. So they’re starting to wake up.

3 Likes

So it makes me wonder, who does he consider “people?"

5 Likes

So Mitch is using the bugaboo “race card” to deflect from the real reason GA and the other states are enacting or trying to enact more restrictive ways to cast a ballot, it’s Giuliani and Donnie’s “Big Lie” scheme that opened up the need to restore “election Integrity”.

The public showed up in droves, even in some cases risked their lives to vote in person because Dear Leader said “only in person voting is the way to support me”. While others chose the safer route of mail in voting, early voting, and even going to the polls in person. McConnell can’t admit that Donnie and the Republican party, with help from Republican state leaders, showed that they cared more for profits over people.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available