Maryland GOP Governor Shreds Trump’s Coronavirus Response | Talking Points Memo

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) castigated President Donald Trump’s failure to act early in the coronavirus crisis that has now months later spiraled out of control, calling the President’s handling of the pandemic “hopeless.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1320804
1 Like

He’s trying to help keep your numbers low. /S

4 Likes

I can see Hogan running against Biden in '24.

2 Likes

You realize how far we’ve sunk when Hogan looks like a hero for simply stating the obvious.

31 Likes

I take it he’s a no for the convention then.

15 Likes

If Hogan thinks he’ll make it through the GOP primary in 24 he’s as looney as the rest of the party. That voting base is toxic and 4 years isn’t going to be enough to flush it clean for Hogan’s prospects.

29 Likes

He won’t have a chance with the GOP rabid, racist base.

11 Likes

Somebody who is actually interested in good government. The beginning of the post Trump/McConnell Republican party?

10 Likes

Great. Hogan wrote stuff. How about Hogan endorsing Biden in September? He’s a currently in office and is very popular. Such an endorsement is far more powerful than those from retirees.

He could help kill the Trumpvirus and help his career in 2024

24 Likes

But I don’t think Hogan is going for the Rethug base. The fact that his wife isn’t a White American would pretty much disqualify him from the majority of that base. I think he knows that pretty clearly and that he’s positioning himself to get the lion’s share of Indies and some Dems.

7 Likes

Oh, geez! Can we have a moratorium about any discussion of 2024?

24 Likes

He’ll have Kasich to contend with for the already small and diminishing, semi sane, wing of the GOP.

And he’ll have Haley and Cotton to contend with for the vast majority of the GOP.

Plus, I think chances are pretty good Rubio makes another appearance, and probably a few other toss their hats in the ring.

5 Likes

If you think about it, Hogan is sort of the personification of what some in the GOP envisioned as not being “the stupid Party.” in that sense, he has the possibility of appealing to wider swath of Americans.

6 Likes

Notice anything unusual in the following lists conserning the numbers of cases/deaths of the COVID - 19 virus? Look at the names of some of these country’s in the top 10’s in death’s and the number of their case’s!

2 Likes

I like watching this battle unfold but in the end he’s still a RepubliCON. This is just the end result of policies put forth for decades by a know nothing, racist party who’s only purpose is to steal tax payer money to give to the rich. Really, the only thing going on here is HIS party has become so extreme that they have entered the “Eating their own” phase.

5 Likes

If only Dems and Indies voted in the GOP primary, then he might get a shot at Nov in 24.

It’s going to be several cycles before any moderate GOP has a chance nationally. They have local and state parties chalk full of people like Gaetz controlling the levels of power within the party, that stuff doesn’t fix itself with a sweeping loss this Nov.

If Hogan wants a career outside of Maryland, he needs to endorse Biden now, and become an indie or Dem after the election to run in Dem primaries. Not that I’d vote for him regardless.

3 Likes

How do you get past the primary if you’re going for Independents/Dems?

6 Likes

I would prefer a moratorium on 2020.

2 Likes

Hogan points out the staggering incompetence of the Trump administration and Trump himself who would rather that Americans die than bring Covid-19 under control.

5 Likes

Romney. Romney is setting himself up as the middle guy. There are millions of older Americans (some of my own family members) who will be pained to vote Democrat for the first time this fall. Romney will be their palette cleanser in '24. The sad thing is, stuff is so bad now I’m not sure Biden or the Dems will be able to fix it in only a few years leaving the door open for Romney. What’s worse is, Romney is still as terrible as he was in '12. He’s still horrible. Just not Trump horrible.

11 Likes