Manchin, Sinema Join Republicans In Blocking Filibuster Reform For Voting Bills

Sens. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) and Joe Manchin (D-WV) joined all the Republicans in blocking a temporary filibuster rule change that would have allowed Democrats to pass voting rights legislation with a simple majority.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1401998
1 Like

Boo fuckin hiss.

19 Likes

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind, you feckless scumbags.

34 Likes

Heart attacks deserved. 52 of them.

4 Likes

The term Bad Faith will come up.
It’s too weak.

26 Likes

We now have a 48-52 minority. Manchinema is not reliable.

16 Likes

So will “maldita puta”.

4 Likes

As a historical moment, which it is, this one stands out for turning almost entirely on the sheer stupidity and weak character of two members of congress. They’re not really standing for any principle, nor do they have anything faintly resembling a reasonable explanation for their position. It’s pure pose. Their empty pose as “centrists” has the ironic effect of affirming, with an exclamation point, that the concept of “centrism” has itself been drained entirely of content.

This wouldn’t happen without our currently constituted national media. By “currently constituted” I means seriously f***ed up. It’s a disgrace that Manchin wasn’t ridiculed 24/7 for several days when he publicly displayed shocking ignorance about basic facts of the filibuster’s history. The media didn’t really bother to lay a glove on him. It’s an absolute disgrace that the two of them can get away with proclaiming firm support for the bill while personally killing the bill, and grandstanding about it. It’s worse than “segregation today, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever”; it’s “centrism forever,” and centrism means absolutely nothing.

70 Likes

It’s a great gig, posing as serious and sincere, while being a monumental asshole. They can keep this up indefinitely.

26 Likes

Shocking.

5 Likes

Boy howdy. Nobody could’ve predicted that.

16 Likes

We knew this was coming. We have to keep fighting.

32 Likes

Fuck 'em. Beat their dumb and performatively dressed/luxury yacht asses this fall. WI, NC, OH, FL, etc.

Oops, PA too.

68 Likes

Inherit the wind. Their lives will now be lived in perfidy. I hope it becomes unbearable to them.

25 Likes

The first moment a GOP majority will benefit from doing so, the filibuster is toast. And that Crazy Nastyass Sinemanchin, retired from the Senate and wallowing in its high-paying private consultancies, won’t care.

43 Likes

Manchin and Sinema both face certain political red-lines which, given their voters, they dare not cross.

This vote, however, was not one of those.

They freely chose to be on the losing side of history. They volunteered to enable racism and evil.

Like the 50 Republicans they french-kissed in their macabre dance of death and decay tonight, they foolishly gloat in winning a battle while losing their souls.

The future, no matter what these fools think, does NOT belong to them.

98 Likes

It may well be that this happens. And, for the Senate GOP, today’s SCOTUS decision will temper somewhat their glee.

I saw, from Ornstein, some talk regarding efforts to continue the legislative fight for both BBB and Voting Rights

18 Likes

I have a hard time imagining a better group of “Nice Replies” except I expect @tena is probably, uh, otherwise righteously stoned. Emphasis on “righteously.”

16 Likes

It also occurs to me that every Democrat running for Senate now is running against Manchin and Sinema.

22 Likes

First and foremost, fuck the GOP and every cowardly member of that caucus. None of them are moderate.

Secondly, I know I’ve somewhat advocated against this in the past, but a party is a party for a reason and certain acts deserve consequences. I’d strip Manchin and Sinema of any committee leadership roles, asap. What a joke.

17 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available