Manchin’s Proposed Changes To The John Lewis Voting Rights Act Would Gut The Bill

We’re going to have to deal with the fact that the south isn’t ever going to get to over 50% vaccinated. We’ve offered all kinds of incentives and there are just going to be people who refuse and we’ll have to live with it. And it’s not all rightwingers. There are still a lot of POC who are suspicious of the vaccine.

5 Likes

They have their own problems with getting folks vaccinated in Canada. That may also be a contributing factor to the decision not to re-open yet.

Last night, I was watching the Montreal-Vegas semi-final for the Stanley Cup. They announced that the coach for the Montreal team was just diagnosed positive. We don’t hear much about that here in the States anymore, but it’s still a regular occurrence in Canada. Lots of resistance to the vaccine there too.

4 Likes

I live just 40 miles south of Quebec. The lack of Canadians at the farmers’ markets, restaurants, etc. is very noticeable. Plus we can’t go to Montreal and surrounding areas either. :sob:

10 Likes

Well, it’ll just be one more example of the region tending to have the most of things you’d really want not to have the most of. Divorce, infant mortality, preventable disease and death, they’re always out in front.

5 Likes

Which is why getting the leftover vaccine out of the States and into the hands of poorer countries is an absolute necessity.

If there are those here who don’t want it, there are others elsewhere who would do almost anything for it. Let’s not let it get to that point for the folks that want it.

The rest can fend for themselves - I have no sympathy for them.

8 Likes

Yeah until something changes - and there are places where things are changing down here - it’s going to be backwards across the deep south. This hurts us as a country and certainly as Democrats trying to get elected.

7 Likes

One of my favorite towns. Long, long drive but so worth it. The quality and variety of the restaurants alone is worth it, and the sophisticated vibe.

5 Likes

Resistance in Canada is at 14%; roughly about 3.5 million of our population. We surpassed most countries, including America, a month ago in first dose, mostly Moderna and Pfizer. We are well into second doses. I got mine yesterday.

The coach had one dose.

3 Likes

I’m wondering why the numbers in the graphic above don’t seem to reflect that. I don’t doubt you - I don’t know that the graphic agrees.

2 Likes

You know I’ve pretty consistently said the south is not monolithically backwards. Not. At. All. But as a whole, yeah, when you look at the statistics they have problems. I’ve been there, got to know folks there, too, and for all the Jeebus talk you should see how they carry on. I was a twenty-something who loved to party at the time and even I was faintly scandalized.

5 Likes

I don’t know the science of it but my understanding is one dose doesn’t confer much protection at all. It mostly sets you up somehow for the second. Like epoxy, I guess, you have to have both or it doesn’t do you much good. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Despite the fact that Dallas Co. is at about 40%, our infection rate is steadily dropping.

3 Likes

I was told that the first dose alerts your body to the virus. The second causes a defensive response.

6 Likes

11 Likes

Curious now and will have to have to look that up. It’s amazing how far under the hood they can get with the genetic stuff.

3 Likes

Stacy Abrams is ok with it. I’m ok with it.

6 Likes

These RNA vaccines are downright miraculous.

6 Likes

Do we know she’s OK with his proposed changes? They do sound pretty crippling.

2 Likes

The first dose does give a bit of protection. The second is, from one day experience, quite different. I notice it seems to be effecting my muscles and joints, like a mild flu. From what I understand, that means it’s working.
So yay!!!

5 Likes

I wonder if infection rates are kind of like smoking and other social phenomena - like hang out with like. Most of us have circles of acquaintances and people we see regularly and don’t necessarily run into many people outside of our bubbles (which, in this case, includes the stores we frequent, our postman, hairdresser, etc.) so once our bubble is protected, we aren’t likely to encounter too many people from outside of it. Likewise, the groups of unvaccinated people will run out of new candidates for infection for the same reason (although many of them will have been infected previously and their bubbles will acquire some level of herd immunity.) The new infections occur when the bubbles get shaken up - when schools open, for instance, or when sports teams start traveling to other towns for games.

5 Likes