Manchin Puts Forward His Compromise Proposal For Voting Rights Bills | Talking Points Memo

So ALEC wrote Manchin’s proposal for him and he’s trying to pass it off as his own.

1 Like

I believe you are correct, but I don’t think he cares, something about money and taking same to bank.

1 Like

Was that a deliberate typo, or just an accidentally accurate one?

3 Likes

Why does the caption to Senator Manchin’s photo on the main TPM page list him as a Republican ®? Innocent mistake?

2 Likes

I thought discobutt was becoming sentient, but alas, just a common fuckup.

8 Likes

If Manchin can bring some Republicans along to vote for it, that would be a game changer.

If he can’t, then he needs to have a come to Jesus moment and realize that he is the reason bipartisanshio isn’t working.

6 Likes

Gotta love the TPM autocorrect that changes “(R)” to the registered trademark symbol.

11 Likes

Yes, they are. There is a deal that can be made and I think he will make it. Manchin is a show boat but usually comes around in a pinch. :crossed_fingers:

11 Likes

Oh. I thought they were running for the same seat. My mistake.

2 Likes

To avoid “registered trademark violations”, type a backslash after the R and before second parenthesis

(R)

ETA: Just like you obviously did as well.

2 Likes

Correction : A previous version of this story incorrectly identified Manchin as a Republican.

It’s uncanny how often that happens.

17 Likes

Or use the HTML character for “R” or tell TPM to change their stupid autocorrect.

1 Like

hahahaha Yeah if they make a deal with him he better hold up his end. At least it might put an end to his continuing with this cha cha cha on Biden’s agenda.

12 Likes

TPM has access to the H.G. Wells transportation system.

4 Likes

Correction : A previous version of this story incorrectly identified Manchin as a Republican.

He might as well be at this point.

1 Like

cha cha cha indeed. :laughing:

4 Likes

O’Donnell had some Texas state Reps (Dems) on who discussed talks with Manchin
And more talks

6 Likes

As some wag once said, “GATT is the acronym for general agreement to talk and talk.”

3 Likes

I can almost hear the editors laughing as they typed out that correction.

4 Likes

It would be one thing if Manchin could guarantee bringing in 10 or more Republicans for his compromise bill, but that’s not going to happen. So, instead, we have this one guy from one of the smallest, whitest states in the US, basically telling the entire Democratic party - and the entire group of people who voted for Biden and Harris - that he alone, not them - is in charge of their voting rights agenda.

Just horrendous. Sickening.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available